In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee 30-06 dies

ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
I'm thinking of using these dies along with the factory crimp die to load for my M1. Can they really be used without any lube? Anybody have any experience with these dies?
Thanks,
Gary

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1284672796.2457=/html/catalog/dies-dlxrifle.html

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee Collett die can indeed be used without any lube, but it sizes ONLY the neck, not the case body. You'll still need a full-length sizer (also included in the Lee Deluxe set) which requires lube.

Lee Collett Dies are great. I use several sets of Lee dies for both handgun and rifle cartridges, and am perfectly happy with them. The only Collet Sizer I have is for the .223 Rem, but it works as advertised.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use the collet die (neck sizing only) w/o lube but the full length die will require lube. You will probably have to full length size your cases for your M1 for reliability.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Only use the collet neck dies for bolt actions. For lever rifles and semi autos, you need to full length size; otherwise the case could be snug and not chamber properly, possibly leading to a slam fire.

Get the full length conventional die for your M1. They work fine.

now for a bolt gun, the Lee Collet dies are hard to beat. I just shot a sub 1" group at 300 yards with my BVSS Savage using Lapua brass, Berger bullets, and H335 powder last week... loaded on Lee dies. If I were truly shooting benchrest at 1000 yards I'd go with Forrester or Wilson or RCBS precision dies, but for anything short of, Lee is just peachy.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will need to full length size at least for a semi-auto. If you have cycling problems it is common practice to use small base dies to resize cases to be used in pumps and semi-autos. Small base full length resizing dies return the cases to original factory specs, full lenght dies do not. All full length resizing requires proper lubrication.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee Collet Neck die is used to set the neck tension. Use it if you fireform brass for bolt rifles, but also use it in semi-auto's after you full length size.