In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thinking of 16 ga reloading, need ideas

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
Been reloading 12ga with basic Lee 650 mostly trap and some 00 buck reloads...
Thinking of getting into 16 ga reloading since I am hunting with a 16 now for quail. Wondering if I should get another Lee loader. I wont be using it that much. Maybe a few hundred loads a year.

Opinions & suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Look for a Mec 600 Jr. There are many used with 16 ga. set up for under $50 at most shows or on auction sites (16 isn't very popular). This would be cheaper then trying to re-fit the 650 (not even sure you can do that). Within a few boxes you have the pay back.

Although I own a 7000 for 12 ga., I have a 600 jr. for .410, 28, 20, & 16. They are so cheap I don't bother doing change overs any more. Really is nice to just grab a machine already set up.

Best of luck
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the 600jr. I've got 2 of them. Both in 12ga. Both were given to me so I can't complain about price. But they're pretty much indestructible. The one my father gave me has been going strong since the 70's. I'm not sure how long the other has been being used but they're both excellent quality presses.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Components can be a real problem for the 16. Good article in this months HANDLOADER on shotshell reloading that addresses some of this .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the Z16 Field Commander wad and load recipes from Ballistic Products, you won't be disappointed.
    http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

They also have a load manual dedicated to the 16 gauge.