In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30/06 Blanks....

CookECookE Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
Does anyone know if a person can reload 30/06 brass that was used for BLANKS? I have quite a bit of fired BLANK BRASS CASES, but they have a RING AROUND THE NECK. I was wondering if I can use these for reloading...................THANKS...................CookE

Comments

• Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too had for all intents unlimited supplies of blank brass. I never did manage to modify, reload and recycle any great quantity. I made a number of attemts to get rolling with them but found the hassles not worth the effort. If anyone else got any where with theirs, I'm sure will will both be hearing of it soon.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Blank brass theoretically could be made from 'seconds' and not suitable for high power reloading. That said, I've done it; I never had much luck removing the ring but sizing them down to 8X57 Mauser bypassed that problem. I still use that brass with light cast lead loads.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a lot of these blank cases that were given to me by a friend a long time ago. In those days, economy was a lot more important to me than it is now. I ironed out the crimp with a Herters die with the expander button ground to a taper. Never had any trouble reloading them but quit using them and switched to commercial brass. But recently, dug them out and am using them in my Garands, I guess because the stuff was made for Garands and it seems appropriate to use it.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In years past when I could not afford new brass, I used a lot of blank brass. I made a mandrel that I drove into the case mouth to expand the sealer ring. Lightly tapping around the neck would allow for removal of the mandrel. The only real problen was that the blanks were reloaded fired brass and the primer pockets were swaged rather large to get the new primers in. Loose primers can cause real problems so I would not advise using them if you have a source for other brass.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once had a sack of .30-06 blanks.
    I picked out the wad, dumped the powder (Do NOT put ANY weight of bullet over blank powder.) ironed out the wad ring and mouth crimp with a Lyman M die, and loaded a normal powder charge and bullet over the GI primer.
    They shot as well as anything else in a Springfield sporter with Lyman peep sight.
    I reloaded them a time or two with no split necks or anything.

We are now warned that blanks are loaded on second class brass that did not qualify for hardball. But MINE did ok.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think it's very poor economy. Full-quality brass is plentiful even if it isn't cheap, and it lasts for many firings with sane loads. If you get the one piece of blank brass that is REALLY sub-standard, it could cost you a lot more than the good stuff would have.

As I've written many times, the interval between trigger and tragedy is far too short to change your mind.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    Have a relative, a cousin, that just sold a bunch of odds and ends brass cases, such as the brass from blanks, burned-out, damaged or other trash cases for the value of the metal.

He figured that he came out OK that way. In fact the amount of $$$ he received would be sufficient to purchase a good bulk amount of once fired regular range brass.

I have previously purchased bulk quantities of used military brass at what I figured were reasonable prices. Had gotten .50 BMG, 30-06, .308 and have seen of course: .45, .38, 9mm. and .223.

Can also acquire used civilian range brass in bulk; in the rough or processed reasonably. For me, the hassle and questions about the blank brass do not make that a secure and reliable resource of reload cases / brass for me. If I had a huge quantity, I'd probably sell it for $$$ and purchase the largest bulk quantity of the most uniform type/make for me to process and reload. (To each, there own choices though.)

Usually, none of the components are actually "free" ... but sometimes "free" is best not used directly ... the costs may be greater than, than the "savings" are worth.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scrap brass prices are sky-high. Sell your blank brass to a scrap yard, (call first, some won't take it) and buy new brass with the proceeds.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Scrap brass prices are sky-high. Sell your blank brass to a scrap yard, (call first, some won't take it) and buy new brass with the proceeds.
    Right you are!