In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

480 ruger cast bullets

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I purchased a lee mold for the 480 ruger. The mold states the bullet size is .476, according to my loading guide bullets should be .474. The loading the manual states the case size should be .504, mine are .505-.506. This extra is causing the cases not to fit in the cylinder.
Am I doing something wrong, are the molds not to be used for the 480 Ruger. Would polishing the chamber work? Thank you.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't loaded this cartridge. My Lyman 48th Edition list grove diameter as .475. Cast bullets are normally sized .001 or .002 larger. Their case dimension is .504 at .200 ahead of the rim.

You have made sure the cylinder chambers are free of any build up? Shooter Choice and a wire brush with time between scrubbing for the solvent to work. Can you try some other brand of brass or at least a different production lot? You might need to inside your brass to accept the bullets.

How do factory loaded shells fit and what do they measure compared to your loads? Will a round still fit with say a narrow piece of cigarette paper stuck down one side?

Case length and crimp come into play. My wheel guns except my Jet get a roll crimp into a crimping grove.