In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

22 250 dies

ok i have not been reloading long mater of * all iv reloading has been for my 7-08 wll im wanting to start reloading for the 22 250 what would be the best dies to get for it, I have a lee single stage press

also Iv seen some die sets that have two dies and some that have three ??? like I said iv just gotten into this lol

Comments

• shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 3 set rifle dies, there will be one die to just size the neck. Which is really what you want for bolt action rifles. No need to size the hole case every time.

I like Forster dies.
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    In 3 set rifle dies, there will be one die to just size the neck. Which is really what you want for bolt action rifles. No need to size the hole case every time.

I like Forster dies.

thanks shoff the 22 250 is a encore single shot so the 2 die set should be fine then
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer

I like Forster dies.

thanks shoff the 22 250 is a encore single shot so the 2 die set should be fine then

You could use the shoulder sizing die on that rifle too. It will save your brass.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tazzer

I like Forster dies.

You could use the shoulder sizing die on that rifle too. It will save your brass.

so it would be better to go with the 3 die set then [:D]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 die set for a bargain,....LEE deluxe

2 die set and possibly buy a NK die to go with it,.......REDDING
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here- I have been using the 22-250 Lee dies for about 25 years for my Rem 40x, They have not let me down yet, from PMC to Lapua Brass.
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    tazzer,i'd recommend going with the three die set from Redding.the neck die will add a lot more years to your brass,just my .02
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a 2 die Full length is best. You can always back off the die to neck size only with a full length. And better yet, measure the shoulder and bump it back .002-.006(your preference) for ease of cycling the bolt.

I use Hornady, RCBS and Redding dies. All have features I like, I've never crimped a rifle round yet.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Listen to deadeye46 ! If you're starting with factory ammo , fire it then FL size and trim to .010 under trim to length in the Manual ! Then fire again and neck size till they need trimming again , then repeat FL sizing . I you anneal at second and subsiquent trimming you will maxumize case life ! H-380 is a good powder to start out with in the 22-250 if your bullet of choice is 55 Gr. or less !
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to try neck-sizing, bet a Lee Collett Size die for ten bucks or so. It works as least as well as dies costing five times as much. That should be in addition to a regular two-die FL set. Pick any major brand; they are all more than good enough. If you can find a Lee set with a seater, an FL, and a collett neck die, jump on it.

Encore rifles can have chambers cut too deep. Their QC for the past few years has been hit or miss. If yours has one you'll have excessive headspace resulting in stretch rings on fired brass and even case separations. That would be a superb reason to use a collet or neck die so you don't set the shoulder back after one firing.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    most of the lee deluxe 3 die set's i have found are 36.00 thinking about getting a set of them
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless you are loading for a match gun, the LEE deluxe will be all you need.
  • tskrytskry Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 22-250 is a tapered case, if you are looking to get the most out of your brass then you may want to consider a neck sizing die, full length resizing is really tough on tapered brass and will cut its life in half,,it also depends on what type of gun you plan on shooting it through,,wont work in autos.
    you can back off on the sizing die to only hit the neck..