In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New scope ?

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
ok so santa brought me a leupold Vx-1 and i want to know a few thing since this is my first quality scope that was new.

1. i have heard with a new scope one should take through full range of clicks-- is this true?

2.any guess on what the max range Via click would be on the scope?

3. any other tips for new scopes?

thanks

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1) I always run the knobs to one end and count the clicks to the other then back to the halfway point. Do not force the last click at the ends. 2) guess 3) If you use a turn in mount don't use the scope to set ring in base the first time. Only use proper lens cleaning stuff, scratches don't heal well. The scope isn't a carry handle. Fitted flip up lens caps are nice. Be sure and thank Santa!
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything Charlie said but I do not "count the clicks" as there are too many. Rather I count the turns of the dials and return halfway. I gently run the adjustments through the full range 2 to 3 times before the final centering. Kind of like centering the steering wheel on your car.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've mount 100's of scopes over the years and never run the adjustments up and back.There is no need for that on a new scope.