In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.284 Win. & Vihtavuori powder?

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
I'm working with a custom .284 Win. bolt rifle, I have a quantity of Viht. powder but no loading data (N140, 150, 160, 165 & 560). Anybody have any for the 120-154 gn bullets?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    sorry Mike closest thing I have with vihtavuori is from their reloading guide2001 they list powder charge weight for 6.5 X284 but non for the 284 directly. This reloading guide also has listing for 7MM both Remington & Weatherbyr Magnum
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    thanks Perry, I've got one from 1994. no help either
    edit, just googled them and they have data for the .270 wsm, that should give me someplace to start anyway.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MIKE WISKEY,

It's going to depend on the OAL you choose to use for which action length. (2.800" for a Short Action/3.05" Intermediate or Long Action)

I think one of the easy, quick solutions is to use published data for the 7x57 Mauser. You can consider this to be a starting point from which to work your way up. When I double checked the Mauser data against the .284 (2.800"), I found that you would be in the low to mid-40's PSI. That's right in line with what the current manuals have for starting loads anyway. Here is the link to the Vihta Vuori data:

http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/5/62

I can't offer my data because of my OAL which is custom for the reamer I use. I'm running a long action competition rifle with a longer than standard barrel. My tactical rifle is a standard DBM length of 2.950" but for the 7mm RSAUM with the bullet seated to the same OAL.

Best.
    edited November -1
    I check case volume and it is slightly less than .270/.280, my chamber is 'long throated'. I found a load the rifle 'likes'; 59.0 gns of h4831 & a 140 Nosler b.t. with an o.a.l. of 3.120" (burger 168's were 3.200" o.a.l ! to the lands)
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, there's about 2 grains (+/-) difference between those cartridges and the .284 Win. I was trying to err on the side of caution with the 7x57, knowing that those other two could be used for comparison. The 4831 is slow enough that it fills the case without broaching the higher pressure levels. It's a good solid powder for so many cartridges.

Glad you found one that satisfies you.

Best.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

In my comparisons with Vihtavouri, I found the single base powders comparable this way, even though it's not what burn rate charts show:
    VV N150 is about the same as 4350 and VV N-160 is about the same as 4831. VV N165 just a little slower and VV N170 about the same as H1000. I did this with the 6mm Rem, 6-.284, .250 Savage, 25 WSSM, 7.5 Swiss, 7.65 Argentino. None of these had any VV data when I started.

For your application I would use VV N160 or VV N165. Reduce about 3-4 gr. from starting loads and work up from the info from the other powders. I suggest doing a one grain ladder and working up that way. And then, keeping a good record of the loads that you have backed up. I had a lot of info that all got trashed (computer virus) because I didn't back it up.

I can't give a max but I can help with a starting point. I will say that with the 6-.284 and somewhat the 6.5-.284 due to the sharp shoulder, the pressure curve at the top end, goes high pretty quickly. Check your loads for velocity and stop once you hit a satisfactory velocity or see pressure signs with a {edit:slower faster} powder. Either by chronograph or trajectory.
    edited November -1
    thanks Todd, I'm satified with what I have now, .532"/3 shots @ 110 yrds with H4831. Further load divlopement will have to waite for warmer weather (-6 this am, about the same were you are I imagine). While my loading bench and fireing range are only about 20 paces apart, seting up the crony and changing targets ain't fun in this weather.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

Yes it was about -6 this morning...so I didn't go to the range today until around 1500[:D][}:)][:D] It was a good day for the 6-.284. Two 1" groups @300[;)] However, rather than fire all of my "I don't know what they are going to do" 6.5 Grendels in the heat this summer, I finally took out a full bag that I had reloaded last winter and shot them up. About 1 moa @ 300.. Not quite [xx(] , But not quite[:D][:D] either. For an AR, I'd take it though, no questions.

FWIW, I was using RE-17 in the 6-.284 today. But in the past, VV 165 worked best with 100 gr. bullets. 49 gr.