In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Case lube opinions.

casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
This would be for 30-06, 303, etc.

Any opinions on "Imperial Sizing Wax"?

What is your preferred lube?

Do you clean cases before sizing?

Do you clean cases after sizing?

This may be old here but I found it interesting. What about DIY lube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olahEwJMUi8

Thanks

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee in the white and red tube is my go to stuff. Doesn't kill primers. Case forming and FL mystery brass shot in loose chambers I like the sizing die wax.

Chatty Cathy vid.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Imperial is by far the best suff I ever used
    I clean cases before sizing liquid stuff if you have too much will deform the shoulder of the case [V][:(!]
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique case lube works for me. A small bit on the finger tips is all that's needed to lube bottle necked cases. A small tub will last quite a while.

Clean before sizing.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always clean the brass before sizing to remove crud that can wear the inside of the sizing die. I'm probably not your best source on lubes, I'm still an old RCBS water-based liquid and pad guy - but it works for me.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imperial is all I use.

Always clean before sizing to keep grit out of the die body.

I clean after sizing if I have used lube inside the case mouth (mainly an initial prepping operation). To do this, I use several drops of dish liquid and a little white vinegar in boiling water. place cases in the solution for 15min of so, agitate with spoon/fingers/whatever several times. Drain and place rinse with water. Place on a cookie sheet, heat in the oven with the door just barely cracked, at around 250 degrees until dry.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    +1 on the Imperial Wax (also sold by Redding). I used numerous types before Imperial, and this was recommended to me many years ago on this forum, and I won't go back to anything else (until there's something better).

As to making your own: Yes I've done it and it works, so do many automotive products. But for $8-10 a can for Imperial (lasts for thousands of rounds)it is just so much easier, and I'm about as frugal as they come.

Best of luck
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imperial is great, but if I'm loading bulk I use Hornady Oneshot.
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I'm old school,lol, I like my old Lyman lube pad and Lyman lube
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    80/90 gear oil on a stamp pad works best and wipes of easily with an old towel. A quart will last years.
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imperial. A trace on the pad of your finger, turn the shell with other hand and lube entire shell wall, occasional tiny amount inside neck. If you can see it, it's more than you need.