In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading for the .338 Win Mag

grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
I just the .338 Win Mag and will start doing some reloading for it soon. I going to try just neck sizing for this round so I don`t stretch the cases to much. Does anyone have any good advice on what power they have used that gives them the best proformance? I will be loading 225 grain Hornady and barns 225`s.

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    grandman,

Excellent choice for Elk hunting!

In that weight range for the standard jacketed bullets, not the Barnes, I like the Accurate 4350 or Ramshot Hunter powders. These yield good velocities without battering the rifle with higher pressures. Very consistent powders and performance.

My favorite is V V N-550 but it is not for the inexperienced or faint of heart...

Neck sizing a belted magnum requires that you check the area just above the belt before loading after each firing. If this area starts to thicken it will cause problems trying to get the cartridge to chamber properly in the rifle.

Sometimes it pays to run the cases through a standard sizing die or body die available from some manufacturers.

Best.
  • hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    nononsense, what are you using for charge weights with the accurate 4350 and hunter powders? Thanks
  • best defensebest defense Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been loading for my .338 Win Mag for a few years now. My first choice in powder is Hogdon 4831-SC. It does not meter very well, but it will work with a wide variety of bullet weights, and I have not had a problem with tempreture sensitivity. You should weigh every charge if you use a standard powder measure. I have found that Speer bullets work very well in my rifle, but for hunting I use Nosler partition. The only problem with Nosler is that they seem to need to be pushed near maximum pressure before they start to group well. I am looking for a bullet mould that I can use to make bullets for practice. the premium bullets are way too expensive to just throw down range on a whim.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sure liked the Hornaday 225 grain pill. It was a real Moose killer in AK.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/Acc%20Guide%20v3.3%20version.pdf

Scroll down to the .338 Win. Mag. data and start there.

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/

Same process.

Loads will vary rifle to rifle and I try not to confuse folks with my data.

If you try some tests and need some input, e-mail me or post again.

Best.