In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I need help with a pistol scope

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
My match 45 wad gun has an Ultra Dot on it, slide mounted. I have had a terrible time getting the scope to stay put. This is the fourth time it has moved in the rings, I can't get the screws any tighter without stripping the threads.

The rings are the clamp type, screws on the top and bottom, this time I cleaned the scope and rings with lacquer thinner and put blue thread locker on the rings and screws, hoping against hope it stays put this time.

It takes only about 500-600 rounds to move the scope forward until it hits the fat part on the tube and can't go further.

Would it be OK to let it stay there so it stops moving? It is tough to sight in a gun only to find the scope is sliding in the rings.

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, letting it stop against the turret can damage the innards - or even break the scope in half if it's a two-piece tube held together by the turret.

Get some good old rubber cement. That jar with a brush in it you remember from grade school is perfect. Apply a thin coat to the inside surfaces of the rings and allow to dry completely. Put scope back into the rings, trying not to rotate it or slide it more than absolutely necessary.

Scopee no more movee.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    No, letting it stop against the turret can damage the innards - or even break the scope in half if it's a two-piece tube held together by the turret.

Get some good old rubber cement. That jar with a brush in it you remember from grade school is perfect. Apply a thin coat to the inside surfaces of the rings and allow to dry completely. Put scope back into the rings, trying not to rotate it or slide it more than absolutely necessary.

Scopee no more movee.

Awesome idea! I hope the blue thread locker bites enough to hold this time. I have a pistol match in Canton OH in October, my goal is to beat Brian Zins in slow fire. I need a solid scope and the luck of many Gods to accomplish that trick!
  • gcs10gcs10 Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What rings are you using? I replaced the UltraDot provided rings with Burris Zee rings on my wad gun. I haven't had any trouble with the scope moving.

Cort
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put extra rings on my .44mag, .45-70, and my .460. That worked.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gcs10
    What rings are you using? I replaced the UltraDot provided rings with Burris Zee rings on my wad gun. I haven't had any trouble with the scope moving.

Cort

I'm using the Ultra dot supplied rings. I wish I had a spare set of Z rings to try, they are the best! If the lock tight does not work, Z rings with rubber cement will be the final solution, (before JB weld).
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hey Bruce if you beat Brian I expect a Bunch of crisp $100 bills in the mail from you as a TIP for me finding the Pistol you are shooting .[:I][}:)][;)][^][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hey Bruce if you beat Brian I expect a Bunch of crisp $100 bills in the mail from you as a TIP for me finding the Pistol you are shooting .[:I][}:)][;)][^][:D]

I'll get the printing press running making those bills for ya!

I think I can beat him slow fire CF and 45, that is half the battle, there for I will!

I need something to spray on the Buckmark's frame and grip to make it sticky, it is slicker that snot on a door knob; making shooting it a real pain.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Try roughing up the rings before using the glue.
    Mabe lapping before will help first.

Was looking for you at the marietta show this weekend.
    Did you make it down [?]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Try roughing up the rings before using the glue.
    Mabe lapping before will help first.

Was looking for you at the marietta show this weekend.
    Did you make it down [?]

No, I have not gone to a gun show in a * age. There are WAY too many toys there begging me to buy them. For now, until I can see an improvement in my income VS out-go, I'll keep blinders on and just poke holes in paper at 50 ft, 25 and 50 yards.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The lock tite will only help IF the screws are loosening. {not likely}
    You have a od of the site too small for the id of the rings. Use the
    rubber glue. Bob
    edited November -1
    I think he used the blue thread stuff on the rings, babun. At least, that's how I read it. Nonetheless, the problem with thread locker is that it dries brittle; recoil will likely break it. That's the beauty of the rubber cement: it dries soft and flexible but with incredible friction levels.

Rubber cement is the only thing that keeps the scope in place on my .375 Winchester Contender barrel. That little hummer has a bit of recoil, but the scope hasn't shifted since the day I mounted it with rubber cement on the inner ring surfaces. Not a millimeter.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hay that's right, and you are right too. I should have read it slower.[:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I think he used the blue thread stuff on the rings, babun. At least, that's how I read it. Nonetheless, the problem with thread locker is that it dries brittle; recoil will likely break it. That's the beauty of the rubber cement: it dries soft and flexible but with incredible friction levels.

Rubber cement is the only thing that keeps the scope in place on my .375 Winchester Contender barrel. That little hummer has a bit of recoil, but the scope hasn't shifted since the day I mounted it with rubber cement on the inner ring surfaces. Not a millimeter.

I'll put 500 rounds through it this week practicing. If it moves at all it will show. I am picking up rubber cement tomorrow just to be safe! That is truly a great tip!
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What has always worked for me with the scope slipping inside the ring is to line the inside of the ring with a thin rubber strip that has adhesive backing. This also serves the double duty of protecting the finish on the scope. Barska scopes come with them although their scopes suck...at least they stay in place.

Pachmayr pac skin works or in a pinch, one of those big wide, flat rubber bands. With proper installation, you really don't need adhesive on the rubber as the rings compress everything to a nice seal anyway.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've wrapped teflon tape around the scope where the rings are to hold scopes in place in my 308. Seems to work and there's no residue when you want to remove it.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Another solution: Get some abrasive sided tape (like used on grips) for the inside of the rings. I have used the std. ultra dot rings for years with no problem on the 1" scope, interesting you are having an issue.

As a side bar: If you can beat Zins after a few lessons from Karl then you are the quickest study I ever heard of, or Karl is the best coach in the world. Of course Zins "only" shot a 288 in hardball at Perry, which did mean he was slipping I guess, must be that good non-military life he's leading now. Come with the Ohio group next year to the Lobster Match in Maine, doesn't matter how you shoot, the food is great.

Best regards
  • ABRACADABRAABRACADABRA Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cheapest, "un-do-able" fix I've done is to cut segments out of a latex exam-glove and slip one over either end of my scope before clamping down on the rings. Some other uses are muzzle covers, and scope rain-guards.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I helped my cousin mount a scope on his .44mag Super Red Hawk. We used the RED thread locker (permanat) on the screws. We put one drop in the tops of the rings. He has shot full house loads with it and it has stayed put so far. I don't know if the slide action would have the same inertia as a revolver?
    edited November -1
    I cannot imagine what good it did to resurrect a thread that is eight months old.