In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

brass tumbling

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
recently got a brass tumbler. Tumbled several hundred rounds so far with no problems. Recently, however, the brass that I put through it comes out dull and a little gritty.

Am I doing something wrong? Too much media? Not enough media? New media?

I put in some polish that came with it today and that didn't even solve it.

Comments

• midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you using walnut or corncob media? And when was the last time you changed it? With fresh media, an hour in the tumbler should be more than enough to get the cases clean. As it gets dirty and wears out, it will take longer. When you get to the point where it takes longer than you care to wait, change the media. Case polish added to the media is something I've only recently started to experiment with but I've noticed that when the media is about to my "halfway" point of being worn out, case polish will renew it and make it good for another couple tumblings.
    Also, a good place to find media is at a pet supply store. It's used as bedding for small critters and birds. You can pick up a decent sized bag there for next to nothing. The walnut media there is the same as what's sold at the gun shops around here but the corncob stuff at the pet store around here is a coarser grade than what's at the gun shops. It still does the same job but in my modified spaghetti colander/case-media seperator, it takes a little more effort and time to get it apart. In a store bought case-media seperator, it won't take any longer. And it's cheap enough to change often.
    Harbor freight is another good place to find crushed walnut. It's back by the sandblasters and tumblers and it's about $25 for a 25lb bucket of it....
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    DON'T GET THE PET STORE STUFF [:0][B)][xx(]

It is too heavy and big [V]

It plugs up veru easy and is a PIA to get out of the cases.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pet store stuff is ok for pistol brass. But for rifle you are looking at hours to get it out of your brass. Especally .223
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good point. I probably should've mentioned I was using it for pistol brass. Sorry. The corncob stuff from the pet store is too large for rifle brass but the walnut media at the pet stores here is the same fine ground stuff at the gunstores. I've had no problems using it with my rifle brass. Even .223 Again, I'm sorry, I should've been more specific.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can throw in USED dryer sheets. This will help clean up the dust of the media.

Corncob works to polish, walnut to clean. If your brass goes in dirty, walnut is the way to go.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    You guys should check out the Stainless steel pin media and forget about that dusty stuff you've been using....
    http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?71511-Stainless-Steel-Polishing-Media
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    You guys should check out the Stainless steel pin media and forget about that dusty stuff you've been using....
    http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?71511-Stainless-Steel-Polishing-Media

I have been looking into that. I should of bought a tumbler of ebay a couple of weeks ago, but completely forgot about it and didn't bid. Sold for $1, plus $100 shipped. Cost about $1400 new, DOH! Would have been perfect.
  • hickeynyhickeyny Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    check this i have spent 35years looking for a good case cleener e mail this man his stuff is the thing you need . mjacobs228@aol.com i got it on ebay after useing i went back and got more to last me 35 more years for about 10.00
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For the record, I was using walnut originally. Threw it out and got some corn cob and it's working great. I'll throw some polish in before I tumble the next batch to extend the life.

Thanks for all the input.
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LOL. I was wondering why the media in my dad's tumbler that has been sitting there for over 20 years was not cleaning my cases.

Didn't realize it "expired"