In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Early .260 Rem Development

MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
In the 1960 Gun Digest, page 184, Kenneth l. Waters talks about his Wildcat "263 Express" cartridge. He simply opened up the neck of a 243 Win. and used .263 diameter bullets (or6.5mm). in this article MR. Waters actually refers back to his initial development of a "263 Express No.2" which appeared in the 1957 edition of Gun Digest. I just thought this information would be interesting to 260 Rem followers... THANKS!!!

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Michibay,

Many, many 6.5 followers have heard the diatribes of the great gun gurus (40's,50's, 60's 70's even 80's)...all the while knowing the truth. The 6.5 Swede was a great round. Still, in my mind competitive today. Especially with the newer, better bullets available for it. It was put into necked down 30-06 cases and necked down .300 Savage cases and even the improved version the "international", before it became somewhat standardized in the 6.5mm-08/.260 Rem.

The 6.5mm/.260 Rem (.264" dia) is a great round and has been a long time coming to the shooting public. It's just a little hard for some companies to dispel their own myths. Especially ones propagated by gunwriters who spew the winds of wonderfulness without really ever knowing the truth (or telling it) themselves. This would have been a great round clear back into the fifties, if gun/bullet companies had produced it.
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sand Warrior...I agree. AS I get older...now 68, I like shooting with less recoil, but still having good performance. I think a 260 with 120 grain is perfect for deer. And 140 for Elk. That's all I need! I used to load a 270...but my light 260 Model 700 Mountain rifle is PERFECT! THANKS!!!
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Michibay
    Sand Warrior...I agree. AS I get older...now 68, I like shooting with less recoil, but still having good performance. I think a 260 with 120 grain is perfect for deer. And 140 for Elk. That's all I need! I used to load a 270...but my light 260 Model 700 Mountain rifle is PERFECT! THANKS!!!

Excellent choices all around![:D] ...There's also the 140/142's for extreme long range shooting. (shooting just to shoot)