In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

60gr V Max and 25gr of...

HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody shoot 60gr V-Max's over 25gr of powder for .223? I pulled the bullet on a load given to me, and am wondering what powder it might be. I think the round was from Black Hills. It looks like H335, but I have no way to tell if it is.[?]

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 24.5 grains of H335 with a small rifle magnum primer and the 60 grain V-Max in my 1:9 heavy barrel AR (5.56 chamber) and it is very consistent. Black Hills probably uses a canister powder that is speced to their loading requirements and may not be exactly the same as a powder we can buy OTC.

It's a 20"
  • HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20 or 24 inch barrel?
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using WCC844(which is supposed to be the equivalent of H335)in military brass and CCI#41 primers with 55 grain bullets. I would think a switch to CCI#400, commercial brass, and a 60 V-max with 25 grains of H335 would be useable BUT I wouldn't recommend it w/o starting over and working up.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just shot a couple of 5-shot groups yesterday with 60 gr V-max and 26.5 gr of AA2520. The rifle is a heavy barreled Sako (bolt action, of course) with 1-12" twist. That bullet is not a real tack driver in this rifle but fifteen 5-shot groups averaged 1.16" @ 3128 fps which is not too bad for that slow twist. My CZ with the same twist averages 2.18" with that load.