In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloader help please

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Looking to start reloading pistol in 38/357, 44 spl and 44 mag and wanting to go with a Dillon. I'm trying to figure out if I want to go with the Sq. deal or the 550. I currently have standard 7/8-14 dies for all of the pistol calibers I want to load for. The 550 takes normal dies, but is not auto indexing. The sq. deal is cheaper, is auto indexing but uses Dillon's dies. There is also a price difference in the shell plates between the 2 presses. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    My choice would be the 550. Once you get used to it, the none auto indexing won't slow you down any.
    W.D.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    My choice would be the 550. Once you get used to it, the none auto indexing won't slow you down any.
    W.D.

I agree with W.D. Go with the 550, it will also do rifle cartridges if you need/want to.

Edit,
    As has been mentioned, the auto-indexing isn't a big deal. Once I was comfortable with my 550 and the process of loading with it I sat down and timed how long it took me to load 100 rounds of 40 S&W. It took just a touch over 9 minutes, starting with the primer tube and powder hopper full and visually checking each round for powder. I wasn't rushing and trying for speed, just plugged along at a consistent pace.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I would also go with the 550, I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on mine without a issue. Converting to another cartridge is quick and easy too.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I own several Sq. Deal machines and I love them. However, the 550 allows you to use various die brands and a wider selection including Rifle (even if you don't need it now).

Turning the round by hand really doesn't slow you down much. Rounds per hour is far less meaningful then you may think unless your shooting 1,000/week, in which case you go to a 650.

If you are having only 1 machine (+ a single of course) I'd go with the 550.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What other accessories should I get with a 550?
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    550. For accessories you will want powder, primers, and projectiles. :) Seriously, it works just fine the way it comes. Use it for a while and decide if you really need to accessorize it.

Buy a toolhead and powder die for each caliber you want to load. Every time you buy a conversion kit (shell holder) automatically buy a toolhead and powder die to go with it.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67

A good scale (IE not the LEE) and several component manufactures loading manuals (IE not the LEE or any of the "one cartridge one book" ones)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wasn't clear on accessories, sorry. I already have a bunch of reloading stuff such as you are recommending. I was referring to the Dillon stuff, wrenches, other plates, etc. Thanks again.

Todd
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll need the caliber conversion kits for each cartridge you reload and a set of the replacement ends for the primer feed/pickup tubes, maybe a set of their wrenches. If you get real jiggy with it, you'll have it set up so that each set of dies has it's own toolhead and powder dispenser. Switching calibers gets REAL easy then.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954

A good scale (IE not the LEE) and several component manufactures loading manuals (IE not the LEE or any of the "one cartridge one book" ones)

What's wrong with the one cartridge load books? I think they are pretty good considering they are just reprints of the major manufactures load data.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz

What's wrong with the one cartridge load books? I think they are pretty good considering they are just reprints of the major manufactures obsolete & out of date load data.

I have a couple myself, but I only use as a cross reference.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954

What's wrong with the one cartridge load books? I think they are pretty good considering they are just reprints of the major manufactures load data.

^^^^^^^^^ I agree...