In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Dillon suggestions

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Thinking real hard about getting a new Dillon 550. I plan to use it mostly for pistol. I don't shoot a lot, but single stage pistol takes forever. I've been buying conversion kits as they come along here on gb and have what I need. However, is there anything that I should buy with the loader that I will need? I've heard that extra primer tubes are a must. Thanks.

T67

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've got two SDB,s and about 10+ primer tubes for each.
    Can fill them in spare time and load for long time.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're only loading handgun ammo, the SDB is adequate. Downside is the proprietary die sets. I use 5 or 6 primer tubes which allows as much nonstop loading as I can tolerate in one sitting.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tool heads, the part where the dies attach so you won't have to do a bunch of monkeying around each time you change calibers. Also a powder measures to go with each caliber.
  • Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found the strong mount to be a useful accessory.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    extra tool heads, powder measure for each caliber, strong mount (especially if bench is a little low), primer tubes. I have a couple 650's and love the bullet trays and the roller handles but not sure they are necessity.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got two 550's ... one for large base shells like the 45acp, 308, 22-250 & 8mm Mauser, the other for 223/5.56, 300AAC and most recently 9mm ... Over the years I've put together several powder heads, some even for the same caliber but different loads for different guns so I don't even have to change the bullet seating depth or powder charge. Of course I always check the charge but I don't remember the last time I had to adjust one.

Since the machines come with primer tubes for large & small primers I've only bought one additional set of pick-up tubes ... By the time I've loaded 200 rounds I'm ready for a break anyway of course when I got the 2nd machine it came with another set of tubes and everything ... I've been completely satisfied with both and have never needed any kind of warranty.

One thing I'll throw out there, the Dillon powder measures's are a bit expensive and for pistol I've used a Lee auto disk powder measurer and a 7/8" adapter which all together costs about $45 and they work fine on the Dillon machine too!
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose the 550 is OK, but if I am spending that much money I want 5 stations and auto-indexing--and, like the Hornady L-N-L, the charged case right under my nose to inspect the powder height in the case. At least the SDB has auto-indexing.
    Will you have enough stations to use a Dillon powder check die or an RCBS Lock-Out die or can you easily look into the case before placing a bullet on it?
    Are you following the "masses" or have you looked into what YOU want from a new press?
    edited November -1
    I suppose the 550 is OK, but if I am spending that much money I want 5 stations and auto-indexing--and, like the Hornady L-N-L, the charged case right under my nose to inspect the powder height in the case. At least the SDB has auto-indexing.
    Will you have enough stations to use a Dillon powder check die or an RCBS Lock-Out die or can you easily look into the case before placing a bullet on it?
    Are you following the "masses" or have you looked into what YOU want from a new press?
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj

Wow, there's so much disinformation, it's difficult to know where to start.
    Granted, the Lee is less expensive, but having 5 stations is no big deal. 1st station on the 550 deprimes, sizes, & installs a new primer. 2nd station drops powder. It's not too much trouble to simply LOOK into the case that moved a total of an inch when you manually index the shellplate.
    It's not like the lockout die or mechanical gadget will save any time; the thing moves at the speed of YOU. If you're just yanking the handle and fumbling cases'n'bullets; you have more than you can handle & should buy ready-made ammo.
    The 550's caliber conversions were cheaper than the SDBs last time I looked, and if you ever do any rifle rounds, it's much easier on the 550.
    I've had mine since they were $275, only bought a spare parts kit just in case, & haven't needed to use the warranty at all in almost 30 years.
    The toolheads are different between the 550 & the SDB as I recall, Dillon has new color-coded ones to make it easier to differentiate loads/calibers.
    edited November -1
    >Wow, there's so much disinformation, it's difficult to know where to start.

Since you quoted my posting, start some where and tell me what disinformation did I include.
    I consider inspection of the charge VERY important and like a press that makes the inspection easy. I also like to run an RCBS Lock-Out die.
    Thus, for my L-N-L, my set-up was: size, expand/flare/charge, Lock-Out, Inspect charge/seat bullet, crimp.
    Works for me.
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the OP has been accumulating 550 conversion kits, recommending other machines is not much help.

You need a toolhead with powder die for each caliber in addition to the conversion withshellplate, buttons, and powder funnel/expander.

A powder measure on each head is convenient but extravagant. Look at the micrometer powder adjustment from Uniquetek or even the Mr Dial graduated knob.

I don't need extra primer tubes, I am glad of the break to refill after 200 rounds. (Load the feed on the press, then refill the pickup tube; load 200 at a whack.) Sometimes just 100. And it is the perfect time to see that you also have powder in the measure and brass and bullets handy.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj
    >Wow, there's so much disinformation, it's difficult to know where to start.

Since you quoted my posting, start some where and tell me what disinformation did I include.
    I consider inspection of the charge VERY important and like a press that makes the inspection easy. I also like to run an RCBS Lock-Out die.
    Thus, for my L-N-L, my set-up was: size, expand/flare/charge, Lock-Out, Inspect charge/seat bullet, crimp.
    Works for me.

[^]

I think that if you read my post; it will answer your question.