In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Load Data for .38 Special Plated Bullets

gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
HI gang. I purchased some Berrys 124gr FP from Cabelas the other day because I was really hard up for bullets. Problem is there is no load data for these. I want to use up some of my Bullseye powder and have been told that these "plated" bullets lie halfway between cast lead and jacketed.

Anyone have any experience with these? Proper Bullseye charge?

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Think you means 125 Gr.

This is what Berry's Suggests.

quote:Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I load plated bullets the same as lead.
    I would try 4.0grs. of Bullseye for them.
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once loaded a bunch of Rainier plated bullets, and their reccommendation was to use swaged lead reloading data. I can't imagine Berry's being much different.
    GH1[:)]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an article on plated bullets coming out in Handloader magazine soon. I have data for the .38 Special, but not with that bullet (which I believe is intended for the 9mm Para anyway.)
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correction. The bullet is 125gr and is marked for "38". I can see how you would think the 124 is for 9mm. MY bad.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, anybody can miss a key. No biggie.

Most data for 125-gr bullets in .38 are designed for +P loads - which is NOT what you want with plated bullets. Try to find a load (for cast or jackted) that tested under 900 fps and you should be fine.

I'm purely pulling this out of thin air (and experience) but I'd bet that somewhere in the 2.7 to 3.0 Bullseye range will work for you.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Until you hit +P loads, I have yet to see a .38 load that would lead with a properly fitted and sized/lubed cast bullet. It's a mild cartridge, relatively speaking.

The plated bullets would pose no issue. I'd just load them up with standard .38 data- not +P- and have at. [:)]