In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer depth

wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
Just spent several hours processing some French Military brass.
The primer (Boxer type)was crimped in and difficult to get out. Press would just punch through the primer so went to the manual method; decapper pin, base and hammer method. Managed to get 87 of 100 out. Reamed and deburred the primer pocket. I went to seat the new primer and it went in deeper than I expected. Looked too far in so I put the primer only case in a 308 bolt just to see if the firing pin made contact. It did.
Now the questions. Should I set the primer to be flush with the base of the case or just push it on down until it stops? Is there a diffence between US made and French made primers (Standard vs Metric)? If it works in the bolt action it should work in the auto,correct or not? NATO cross stamp on case and 1973. Using RCBS universal primer tool.

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    You must seat it to the bottom of the primer pocket or else suffer misfires.

No differences, all is good, just seat to bottom and enjoy.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard practice in the industry is to seat primers .005 to .008
    below the case head. Flush or anything above is asking for trouble.
    You can seat them as deep as you want as long as the striker will
    still hit them with enough force to make them work.
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    You must seat it to the bottom of the primer pocket or else suffer misfires.

No differences, all is good, just seat to bottom and enjoy.

^^^This^^^
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same- Your primer type "Soft=Federal" and "Hard=CCI" might be something to look at if you get "Fail to fire" with mill brass. Pockets can be a hit and miss on depth. So- if you suspect excessive depth. Go with the softer primer if you feel that that he pocket is not deep enough, Ream slightly and use a harder primer.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the auto have an inertia firing pin? If yes, not a problem.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]