In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RCBS JR3

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
RCBS%20JR3_zpsi8cz9xlp.jpg

I got this one for $40. I've seen them online for $25 but would have paid the difference in shipping (11 lbs on my bathroom scale). This is pretty heavy and built like a tank and perfect for my intended purpose: hydraulic form dies.

Considering it was build in the 1977, it's in pretty good shape and perfect working order. Very impressed thus far.

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya got the "right" color green...the older stuff is better than the new stuff...and at $40 ya did good. have fun
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Ya got the "right" color green...the older stuff is better than the new stuff...and at $40 ya did good. have fun

I thought so too ... will do, thanks!
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Price is right (I generally sell used one's from $35-50, in not as good of condition as yours).

I used a Jr. from 1964 thru 2010 for all sizes up to .375 H&H. However, I think it's not as powerful for brass forming if you are doing large rifle cases and would recommend the Redding Big Boss or RCBS Rock Chucker. I went to the Redding because of reforming brass, while it can be done with the Jr. it was a pain.

FEENIX: I was under the impression that hydrolic dies required "press pressure" for the liquid. After reading your response I looked up the "hammer method", so the press should be just fine for that type die. Always glad to learn something new since I've never used that method.

Best of luck, great little machine.
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice, I like it.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Started on a jr in the '70,s then went to a progressive [;)]
    It's a very good press [^]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    Price is right (I generally sell used one's from $35-50, in not as good of condition as yours).

I used a Jr. from 1964 thru 2010 for all sizes up to .375 H&H. However, I think it's not as powerful for brass forming if you are doing large rifle cases and would recommend the Redding Big Boss or RCBS Rock Chucker. I went to the Redding because of reforming brass, while it can be done with the Jr. it was a pain.

As noted above, it will be used with hydraulic forming dies.

Cheers!
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of those, but it has a lot more wear on it than that one. I bought it used, for $30, a couple of years back.

It works like a charm!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy

FEENIX: I was under the impression that hydrolic dies required "press pressure" for the liquid. After reading your response I looked up the "hammer method", so the press should be just fine for that type die. Always glad to learn something new since I've never used that method.

Aye Sir! I'm having a Whidden die made >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCqb_7UYh9k
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd never heard of hydraulic forming until this thread. Pretty cool!
    This guy went the extra mile...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjWhROvXOg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    I'd never heard of hydraulic forming until this thread. Pretty cool!
    This guy went the extra mile...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQjWhROvXOg

Yep. it's amazing what is out there these days.

Not a big fan of the cream of wheat method. With my .270 AI, I developed accuracy load for .270 Win and .270 AI.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Had one in my rotation for a few years before I went progressive. Liked it a lot. Good little press. Enjoy it.