In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need light accurate, 44 Special handloads.

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
Haven't loaded this caliber for years but did some 185 grainers with Unique recently that were awful.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    TRY FIOCCHI 44 S&W Russian I shoot them in my S&W #3 single action Target
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't like full tilt 44 Mag loads with Unique, much sharper recoil IMHO.

I would try the starting loads with faster powders like 231 or Bullseye. Make sure your cast bullet bases are clean, free of bullet lube. And really pay attention to charging as you could easily double charge and it's hard to spot with the visual inspection of the charged loading block.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like the Federal lead semi-wadcutter HP. In my 5" M-29 Classic it is very smooth and mild with good accuracy. I don't know what you will be shooting the load in, but even the Charter Bulldog .44 Spl should be doable.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I shoot these in a 3" barrel Charter Arms, so your gun may act different.

I have had NO LUCK with lead bullets, no matter what the weight, can't hold a 4" X 6" target at 50 ft. with various powder types. However, had great performance with 180 gr. Jacketed HP bullets and IMR-4227, 16 grains, holds 3" group of the bench at 50 ft. (I know that's not great, but it's not a target gun)

Starting load is 15.1 grains, max. is 16.8 grains.

May just be my gun, but the bullet type seems to be more important then the powder type and weight. I'm still learning with this gun and reloads.