In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking for a progressive

I am looking for a progressive press, I am looking at a Hornaday, and lee, Will it use the same dies that my lee turret uses. I have 45acp dies and 5.56 dies so I am thinking about buying 9mm dies for my 9mm. anyone know where to get a good price.

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    THE ONLY NAME IN PROGESSIVE PRESSES IS DILLON
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Hornady and use it a lot. The new ones have the new "EZ eject". That was my only complaint, now fixed.

I use mine for 40sw, 9mm and 5.56

As for your question. Yes it will take std dies, but each will need a bushing. I think 4 or 5 come with. I bought mine at MidwayUSA when they had a birthday sale. Just compare with other sights and you'll get the best deal. And free bullets!
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Natchez Shooters Supply also offers fairly competitive pricing.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the Dillon and cry once.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I love how Dillons work but wonder (and doubt) if they are worth their price.

I've not owned one but have loaded about 3000 rounds on a buddy's Dillon. He also has a Hornady progressive that he got first.

For the life of me I can't see that the Dillon is worth the extra money, particularly when if you buy from Hornady, you get free bullets to boot.

Now the Lee.....their Pro 1000 isn't that great, works OK for pistol but not rifle, their next step up is better but still not great....

Would go with Hornady or RCBS or Lyman if in your shoes. Dillons are excellent but to me, just not worth it. I have nothing but praise for their operation mind you, I just find them overpriced (rather like certain car brands).

Whatever you go with, keep us apprised. :)
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Dillon, just cause they are great to work with. need help just go to their web site and ask. Last time I did the answer came from the owner. Customer service is great.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my Hornaday L-N-L Classic Kit(single stage) Just finished loading 50 rounds of .308 on it.(LC crimped primers, or I would have done 100) Natchez has good prices on Hornady reloading presses.
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No one ever mentions Ponsness/Warren reloaders. I have there semi progressive loader and its tops with me. Check them out
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Dillon, just cause they are great to work with. need help just go to their web site and ask. Last time I did the answer came from the owner. Customer service is great.

I have had both they are both good machines like ford and chevy

some like ford others rather die than ride in a ford

LnL w/ EZ eject and PTX going strong since 2007
    2k 40 S&W
    5k 45 acp
    I have lost track of how many 223 and 204 rounds have been reloaded on it at least a couple of 1000 each
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    [:I][:0]Hello ODAWGP and Lucky_Lefty . I agree with Dillon & Hornady being like a Ford and Chev now if you want a B.M.W. and want old school quality plus only load pistol IMHO get a STAR I have loaded over 300,000 rounds and had ONE break-down broke a decapping pin when a 380 case was lodged in a 45ACP case. [^]
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lucky_Lefty
    I am looking for a progressive press, I am looking at a Hornaday, and lee, Will it use the same dies that my lee turret uses. I have 45acp dies and 5.56 dies so I am thinking about buying 9mm dies for my 9mm. anyone know where to get a good price.

I have a lee Pro 1000 and it can't be beat for the price. it will use the same turrets as your turret press.
    yeah the lee has some kinks but for the price, they are east to deal with
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    [:I][:0]Hello ODAWGP and Lucky_Lefty . I agree with Dillon & Hornady being like a Ford and Chev now if you want a B.M.W. and want old school quality plus only load pistol IMHO get a STAR I have loaded over 300,000 rounds and had ONE break-down broke a decapping pin when a 380 case was lodged in a 45ACP case. [^]

You seen the video of the automated Star machine? Guy made up a air piston system and programed it with PLC's or something similar. Had it running off a computer.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter

B.M.W. [xx(] I'd rather drive a Ford [:o)][:I][:D]

Are star machine even available new?

I see very few come up for resale if ever
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Star has been out of Business for some time But There are two different web sites of user groups and Parts are no problem for 2 reasons #1 parts don't break and #2 there are custom aftermarket parts makers that make adjustable powder bars instead of Fixed bars and also Large capacity powder reservoir.Plus tons of parts that have never been used . I buy every star from retiring shooters that I can find and sell them to New Shooters in my state I mentor them in the set-up and use of these great machines. . As far as taste in automobiles I won't go there but anyone who has ever used a star and Then bought a Dillon to load for rifle will tell you a Dillon is a VERY VERY good HAMBURGER but a star is PRIME RIB. [:p][;)][:0]. I always have one or 2 Stars for sale more people retiring then new shooters. Pictures are available.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    A Dillon 550 or 650 will take anybodys dies. And the NO BS warranty is great. It lasts forever [;)] IF you EVER need it.