In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

struck brass in sizer die

Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hers a good one for discusion. I got this die from someone that did not know about case lubing. The case is stuck all the way in. He then tried to get it out without a removal tool.(I have one) He then proceeded to rip the base of the brass casing off. So as a challenge I have took on this attempt to remove the casing. If I try to put something down the side I will scratch the die. If I try to etch a line into the case from the inside I might scratch the die. If I try to use a reamer I will probly scratch the die. I have soaked the case in penetrater and I might try to take a bolt and thread it into the brass and try to dislodge it that way. Any other suggestions? If I damage the die its no loss but It will be a good practice excersise.

Comments

• zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a brass rod that just fits inside the FL sizer neck and sits on top of the case neck. A number or letter drill bit turned upside that fits can be used. Put an empty pistol cartridge over the drill bit to protect point and rap with a hammer. Good luck.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like about the time I'd let the USPO take it home to it's maker.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember reading one way: screw in a tap that will grab the shell but not go thru the case into the die. Either tap out or pull out.
    If it's a rifle case the brass thickness near the head should be adequate to do this.
    Another possible way: rough up the inside of the case. Fill the case with epoxy, Bondo or molten lead. Tap out from the top. Maybe insert a long screw into the mixture to use as the tapping rod after it hardens.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of "removal tool" do you have?
    The usual sort drills and taps the stuck case through the primer pocket and pulls it out with a jack screw arrangement.
    Why not use it as designed and see if it works?
    Or did he rip the head off to the point there is nothing left to thread?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the head is compleaty ripped off you could try a broken shell extractor. Sometimes an EasyOut will work from the big end. Warming the die helps too.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No theres nothing left of the base to get ahold of. I did try the easy out. It just spread out what little brass was left. The shell extractor sounds like an idea, I'll try that and let you guy's know what happens. What fun.(would'nt be so fun if I had done it).
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on what's left of the base you could try filling it full of cerrosafe and then knocking that out??
    edited November -1
    Its in the oven right now. I'm gonna heat it up and then hit the brass with freeze spray. If it dosn't crack that might work whats this cerrosafe stuff?
    edited November -1
    Well the heating and cooling did not work. But I got to thinking and decided to make a big stuck case remover. I threaded the die (.223) with a 5/16x24 tap into just the brass case (it did not go into the die) then I took a 5/16 bolt with two washers (1 large area and 1 with a large over size hole) put the die and bolt assy in a vise with one washer on top and one on the bottom next to the die. Used the vise as a wedge and just screwed it down so it could draw the case out. It worked great, no damage. End of experiment.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Necessity is the mother of invention. Good job.

I always get a sense of satisfaction (and smugness, perhaps) when I fix something that someone else has given up on.
    edited November -1
    Ya it did feel good to win.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a 10 - 4 , I take pride in doing a job that other smiths have given up on !