In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New Brass Question

jplooksterjplookster Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
Should brand new Lapua 7.62X39 brass be sized before use??

New Winchester I assume should be sized???

TIA

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not a bad idea to size new brass, if only to make sure that the neck is both round (they can get beat up in shipping) and the correct inside diameter (your expander ball handles that chore)
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always size the necks on new rifle brass at least.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sizing them is not a bad idea. I'm going through a new batch of Lapua brass for my .223 right now. I after sizing, I loaded up some blasters to "fire form" the cases to my chamber. I found out that you will actually increase case capacity when you fire them! I couldn't fit a full 28grs of Win 748 powder into them before. It was spilling over the necks and I had to reduce the load. After the first firing, I can now fit 29.0 with ease! My rifle likes 28.0 better but I would've never expected it to increase a full grain. Good luck. What gun are you shooting your 7.62 out of?
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lapua brass case walls are pretty thick, you don't get the same capacity out of them that you will out of just plain Winchester cases, but they last dang near forever.
  • jplooksterjplookster Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am firing the rounds in 16 inch and 20 inch Colt AR-15 uppers. Over Armalite and DPMS lowers with match triggers. I free floated both of them with Troy rails.
    I bought the 16 inch upper first and was amazed at the accuracy with Winchester and Remington 123 gr soft point ammo 3/4 inch groups and sometimes even less..clover leaf groups. The winchester ammo is visibly so so with crimps showing great variation (inconsistent seating depth) and many differences in the exposed soft point.

So at that point I decided I had to hand load to see how good they would do with good ammo.

The twist rate for the Colts is 1/12. To my knowledge Colt is the only one useing that twist rate. All the others seem to use 1/10 or 1/9.5. I think the slower rate has a lot to do with the accuracy???

Last year I had 22 hogs come to my feeder at 1 time and just got off 1 shot with my bolt gun. The AR will be more suited to the task[8D]

Thanks to all for the help.