In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crimp Dies

OK, You've got me sold on no longer seating and crimping at the same time. Any thoughts on what are the best crimping dies? I load 9's 38spl 357mag 40S&W 45acp and 45colt. I've seen some dies where 38 & 357 can use the same die, same for 45acp & 45 colt, whereas others do not. Any reviews are welcome, like most folks, there's not an unlimited amount of funds to put out there and I would like to utilize my expenses wisely. Thanks

Comments

• ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use and recommend Lee factory crimp dies.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roll crimp for revolver calibers, taper crimp for semi-auto.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Roll crimp for revolver calibers, taper crimp for semi-auto.
  • 2Amendrules2Amendrules Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have Lee in the 45acp and so am familiar with the factory crimp die. Not too keen on the double hesitation/jerk that I get using this die. What about the Lee crimp dies that are out there that are not listed as factory crimp? Are they like the factory crimp/seating die found in the set? Understand the different crimps for revolver and semiauto loads. What about loading the 38spl and 357mag for use in, say, the Henry Big Boy rifle? Considering buying one. All opinions welcome.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    the lee f.c.d. are much better and more consistant than standard dies, they do not depend on case lenght.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Lee FCD is the only way to go for pistols. Sure you can make the others work very well, but why bother when the FCD is so easy and good. Whenever my "pistol buddies" have an issue I have them get the FCD and it just seems to solve 90% of the problems.

+ 10 on the FCD.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have used STAR taper crimp dies for 40 years . The one thing I can say is their design alloys for a Smooth transitionfrom bullet to case mouth and eliminates 99% of feed and chambering Problems

EDIT sorry Star was a brand of one of the first Progressive Reloading presses. I bought mine used from a police dept that had loaded over 1,000,000 rounds of 38 . I converted to 45Acp and loaded over 350,000 rounds. my Photobucket is down but pictures on request just double click on my user name and send me a email. I never trim cases. 45 ACP cases will actually get shorter the more times you reload them. I shoot NRA Bulls-eye matches.with ammo I load. average 2 inch 30 shot groups at 50 yards out of Ransom rest.
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your thoughts. Never heard of the Star Dies, I'll look around for them. Was going to ask this next question in another thread but it seems fitting since case length was mentioned. I've been trying to maintain my case lengths within .002" of the minimum TTL. Advisable or can I get away with a larger variance using the Lee Factory Crimp dies (since someone did mention length not as critical using these dies)? I'm not looking for perfection in my loads, even though I am meticulous with my reloading. My loads are for plinking, target shooting, handgun/defensive training and just all in all love of shooting.
    edited November -1
    I never trim cases. 45 ACP cases will actually get shorter the more times you reload them. I shoot NRA Bulls-eye matches.with ammo I load. average 2 inch 30 shot groups at 50 yards out of Ransom rest.
    [/quote]

I've had a few other folks tell me the same thing. I found too much inconsistency with crimping with my RCBS dies however. I have purchased Lee FTC dies for all my pistol calibers and should receive them all next week. Removing the trimming of all these cases from my reloading process will be quite welcome. I've just upgraded to a Hornady LNL AP press and really look forward to a much more efficient and productive reloading process. [:D]
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    If available, I'll get either Redding or LE Wilson dies. If I'm being cheap I'll use the same die for seating and crimping by removing the plug for the second run.