In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Help, broken dies. (picture)

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
I had a stuck 41 magnum case today and finally got it out. When the case came out, So did this ring. After re installing the ring, the cases will now not go up into the die. I have been reloading for 37 years and this was a first[:o)] It is an RCBS 41 mag pistol die. What is that ring and how far up into the die does it go????? I will call rcbs Monday if i cannot fix it. Oakie.

Die.jpg

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's the carbide sizing ring, and it sits flush with the die mouth (there should be a slight shoulder inside the die, where it goes).
    The bottom surface should have a slight radius/taper, where the case mouth enters, the top side will not.

Getting it to stay in place will be the trick, as it was either a press fit to the die body, or the bottom of the body was upset (crimp, stake, etc) to hold it in place. I doubt it was silver soldered/brazed, in place originally, but that would be another way of attaching it.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Looks like Carbide ring do not tap ring just take Vice grips and squeeze brass case then look at mouth of ring One end skhould be rounded That will be to alloy case mouth to enter that end goes facing out take wooden block put ring on block take the decapping pin out die Put locktite on out side of ring Slide die over the Carbide ring end and Then with Ray hide hammer or another piece of wood on top enf of die Tap this second piece of Wood with hammer to DRIVE Die over the ring until flush
  • Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same thing happen to a Lyman 44 mag die. I sent it to Lyman and received a new die at no charge. I suspect RCBS would treat you in a similar fashion. It is some of the least expensive advertising a company can get.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Looks like Carbide ring do not tap ring just take Vice grips and squeeze brass case then look at mouth of ring One end skhould be rounded That will be to alloy case mouth to enter that end goes facing out take wooden block put ring on block take the decapping pin out die Put locktite on out side of ring Slide die over the Carbide ring end and Then with Ray hide hammer or another piece of wood on top enf of die Tap this second piece of Wood with hammer to DRIVE Die over the ring until flush

Karl, don't yell at me but, I put the damn thing back in upside down and can't get it back out[}:)] I screwed up big time. I guess a phone call to RCBS Monday morning is in order. I gotta start just emailing you from now on. I have your phone number and will start using it. Damn, just damn. Oakie
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could polish a new radius on the inside. There are green color silicon carbide stuff make for sharpening carbide items.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Just send it back to RCBS. They will replace for free. Just one question how does anyone stick a case in a carbide die? ??? PS putting it back in upside down should doom the die and require replacement. As good as the guy who didn't have a hammer so he used his Leupold scope to pound a nail!!