In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just bought a Dillon xl650

Sold off my Hornady LNL AP and some other stuff I had, pretty excited to get it up and running. Any inside info or "heads up" tricks/tips That might help?

Comments

• noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the Dillon DVD and watch what the narrator does. Even more important than what he says.
    Hope you got the case collator, 'cause, at least for me, it a much less convenient press than the Hornady without that collator.
    Many will disagree, but many haven't used both.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Be sure to mount your 650 to a solid bench. You want zero movement or vibration. Any movement or vibration can lead to problems with the primer system. Think heavy duty, built for military use type bench!
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so jealous. I am getting mine for Christmas this year. Post how you like it and give me all the details on it as you get started reloading with it. I want to see what to do and not to do. Oakie
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I have watched about 50 xl650 videos on youtube in the last month knowing I would be buying it. Also just watched some videos on getting a new guide rod and shellplate bearing to make it run more smooth. Just gonna run it stock for a while to see how it goes. And yes, I got the case feeder too.
    Will definitely make some posts once I get it up an running to see what I like and what I might tweak.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had my 650 for over 15 years. Get the strong mount, a roller handle and tool holder mount. Very convenient items.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I ordered the strong mount and roller handle with it. Gonna do a couple homemade remedies for the "ski jump" live primer chute and spent primer part. Supposed to be delivered Momday...can't wait!
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    once you get it all set up and running , you will be in heaven, It is the best reloading money I have ever spent.
    any problems with your set up can usually be remedied via U-Tube videos, or a quick call,email to Dillon, great folks to work with, both before and forever after purchase!
    Take your time with set up, and follow the directions closely.
    As others have said,a very secure , solid mounting is important, smoothly operating the handle through the complete arc of movement is essential, after an hour or so of breaking it in you will never look back at other reloading options.
    You might even have trouble keeping up with shooting all you can afford to load!