In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Building a super accurate pistol

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
Hi, I am thinking of getting or building a super accurate pistol. Expect to spend about $1,000.

Am I better off to buy a custom built gun, or build one myself (with help of friendly gunsmith).

I just started shooting PPC and this gun may not be suitable for PPC if I get a ported barrel.

Looking at Glock 34.
Any recommendations on barrel?
Anyone used their new red dot sight?

Does porting a barrel improve accuracy other then the reduced recoil?
Does porting reduce accuracy in a custom barrel?

Any recommendations on custom built .45s?

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    get forgemonkey to build you a 1911. IN MY OPINION you will learn with each pistol you Build but You have to have good machinist skills to build a 1911 and the equipment to do the work. you cant just buy a bunch of parts and build one There are
    VERY FEW NRA BULLS-EYE guns that you can purchase off the shelve.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    The ultimate accurate pistols are "hand rifles". Start with an XP100. When you can outshoot an XP, come on back and we can talk more.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Porting does nothing to help accuracy.

$1000 is peanuts for a "super accurate pistol."
    I would look for a used PPC .38 revolver to get accuracy for so little.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 34 is a great gun for IDPA, but for PPC type shooting I'd take Perry Shooter's advice and spring for a good 1911 just to get the single action trigger. I don't care who built your Glock, or how much money you have into it, it's mechanism will never lend itself to pinpoint accuracy like a well tuned 1911 can deliver... And I'm a diehard Glock shooter!
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    The ultimate accurate pistols are "hand rifles". Start with an XP100. When you can outshoot an XP, come on back and we can talk more.

You can say that again, but of course a XP or any other Specialty Pistol will not qualify for PPC competition. But since SP's were brought up I might as well show off a bit. This video is me hitting a 10" plate at 960 Yards with a custom XP, the video is actually the 5th hit I had on the plate and they all gave a 6" group. Not bad for just a 6mm pistol shooting from field position in wind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD03Aqo_XfI
    20150615_112603_zpsguawsh0f.jpg

Of course many people say that a SP like the one above is just a rifle with the stock cut off so the accuracy doesn't count, So how about 3" groups at 500 Yards with a Ruger GP-100? I think that counts as a super accurate pistol. My buddy Ernie shot this just yesterday:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcyPO0nPAf0

www.baysidecustomgunworks.com
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very fine, but I don't think that is a suitable PPC gun, either.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Building or buying a 1911?

You can buy a good used Clark or Baer in the $1500 range. I built a 1911 which took a year off and on and about $2500. I did it for the experience and understanding the 1911. Although it is a very good gun I could have purchased a custom gun for less. Not as easy to build one yourself and there were many ruined parts in the process.

Unless you want the experience I would recommend purchase of a name brand custom pistol.