In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Range Report: 44 Mag shotshells w/ PICS

76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
Loaded up some 44 Mag shotshells a while back and put them on paper, thought I would share the results and hopefully get some feedback from others on performance. Load was 7.0 grs of Winchester Super Field under CCI blue shotshell capsule full of #8's inside, RP case and WLP primer. OAL is 1.600", paper targets are 30"x30".

Here are the results:

[img][/img]44pattern006.jpg
5 feet from target, pattern is about 7.5" across

[img][/img]44pattern001.jpg
10 feet from target, about 15" pattern

[img][/img]44pattern005.jpg
15 feet from target, approx 22" pattern

[img][/img]test001.jpg
Some of the leftover pieces of the shot capsules

The circular hole in each target is from the capsule base wad. I was surprised that it struck very near point of aim. This definitely gave me a better idea what I was working with and the effective range of shotshells.

Hope you enjoy the pics!

76k20

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup. I always advised folks to plan on an inch of pattern spread per foot of range. Discounting a few peripheral hits, your targets pretty much uphold that. If you cut the charge a wee bit, you might get notably less dispersion, but you aren't bad where you are. I think I see evidence of the "spinup doughnut" where the capsule gains rotation from the rifling and the pellets depart due to centrifugal force - leaving an empty hole in the pattern right at aimpoint. The shorter the barrel, the less spinup, BTW, because the capsule skids for a ways and a short barrel minimizes spinup.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • 76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab:

Thanks for the input. My next range report with shotshell capsules is going to be with reducing the powder charge weight as you noted might make the pattern tighten up. Also going to try different shot sizes. Already got the rounds loaded, just need to do some shooting and take pics. I will post back when I have the results.

Speer manual's list of powder/load combos didn't list any powder I had on hand, so WSF was close to several listed and I went from there. Also have Winchester Super Target, so may load a few up and see what happens.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've tried this with my .44 - same results - when the perp shows up I think I will stay with the 240HP. I have 20-20 vision for snakes. 20ga, 20 feet.
    edited November -1
    I'd try 6.0 of WSF if it were me.

Looking closer at your five-foot target, you can actually detect two concentric circles of shot with a hole centered just left and below the wad hole. That target looks like the rings around Saturn - a Saturn pattern!

The farther targets are less distinct, except for the clear hole again. But they clearly prove that more shot would be better, and that means smaller shot. I used nothing but 9s in most of my testing and I'm hoarding a small bag of 12s for serious loads. The few shots I've tested with 12s show a remarkable improvement in pattern density that more than makes up for reduced pellet weight/energy. If a rattler's head is anything like a potato, those 12s will do a better job "mashing" him than even 9s will.
    edited November -1
    Update to this range report. Went back to the range to shoot some more patterns with 6.0gr of WSF vs. 7.0gr WSF. Everything else is the exact same as the original load, just the powder charge is varied. Used red sharpie for 7.0gr load and green sharpie for 6.0 gr load. Pics below:

[img][/img]powderchange001.jpg
    6.0gr @ 5 feet, spread is 7"

[img][/img]powderchange003.jpg
    7.0gr @ 5 feet, spread is 7.5"

[img][/img]powderchange002.jpg
    6.0gr @ 10 feet, spread is 13"

[img][/img]powderchange004.jpg
    7.0gr @ 10 feet, spread is 14"

One thing I noticed about the 6.0gr loads seemed to leave more unburned powder residue, 7.0gr loads had some but not as much. Recoil and penetration seemed to be equal, I could not tell the difference.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mbsams
    I've tried this with my .44 - same results - when the perp shows up I think I will stay with the 240HP. I have 20-20 vision for snakes. 20ga, 20 feet.

I like your 20/20 idea. Seems like for me I usually don't encounter snakes 20 feet away, usually they are 10 feet or closer by time I find one.

As for the 240 JHP, you can bet they are never far away. I have my Hornady 240gr XTP's leaving the muzzle @ 1375 fps, should take care of most things I might encounter.[;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I'd try 6.0 of WSF if it were me.

Looking closer at your five-foot target, you can actually detect two concentric circles of shot with a hole centered just left and below the wad hole. That target looks like the rings around Saturn - a Saturn pattern!

The farther targets are less distinct, except for the clear hole again. But they clearly prove that more shot would be better, and that means smaller shot. I used nothing but 9s in most of my testing and I'm hoarding a small bag of 12s for serious loads. The few shots I've tested with 12s show a remarkable improvement in pattern density that more than makes up for reduced pellet weight/energy. If a rattler's head is anything like a potato, those 12s will do a better job "mashing" him than even 9s will.

Thanks again for your input Rocky. 6.0gr of WSF was what I had loaded up, so looks like we are on the same page there. I plan on getting smaller shot for shotshells, I used the 8's because that was the smallest I have on hand. Going to buy something smaller, not sure which size yet.
    edited November -1
    The lighter charge is developing less pressure, therefore less efficient burning. You'd probably have that with any powder charge in a shot load because the "bullet" has neither the weight nor the friction of a regular bullet.

As there appears to be very little change between the loads, you could go with either. All things considered, the 7.0 might have the edge just for cleaner burning and a bit more pellet energy.

You didn't mention, but do try using superglue instead of a crimp. That extra hold for a millisecond allows a better burn, believe it or not.

I sought out a skeet shooter and got a pound of #9s from him. Enough to last me a couple years, I thought. That was 15 of them ago!