In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 7mm SAUM

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
Picked up a used rifle a few months ago, on this sight. Finally loaded some for it. A Rem Mod 7 SS.

Trying 2 different bullets and 3 powders. H4350, H100V, and Winchester 780 Supreme. I have other powders, but lets start simple.

First, measuring to the lands. Bad news, the OAL was .095 longer than book OAL in Hornady handbook. Definetly won't operate in mag at that legnth. And the rounds won't cycle unless you're very close to the Hornady recommended legnth. The 162gr SST wasn't much better. Single shot it will be. Probably should try some at mag legnth, but not this time. It is a hunting rifle, I'd like less than 1 moa, but 1.5 will do.

Raining here today, maybe Friday or Sunday. I'll post results. Hope recoil is not too bad, that stock isn't ideal in my mind. Maybe a H-S stock someday, why stop there. A 24" barrel set back a little more...

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the blue and laminated model seven in that chambering. My best load, so far, has been 63 gr. of IMR7828 with the 160 gr. Speer Grand Slam bullet. The Grand Slam, with that flat nose, can be loaded to magazine length without the base being so far down in the case. Four 5-shot groups averaged 1.07: Velocity was just over 3000 fps. It's faster with that 22" barrel than my 7 Rem. Mags. with 24".

Hope this helps--Good luck with yours.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I have the best luck with all my 7SAUM's with H4831SC... from the 125 BT's to the awesome 162 Hornady A-Max.....
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't get too "spun up" about C.O.L. - seat to the specs, not over. Functioning for a hunting rifle is very important. Mine actually groups better with bullets seated to spec than seated out close to the lands. I too have best groups from H4831SC. Much better than some other so called "great" 7mm powders. A change of powder or bullet can make a big difference sometimes. My bullets seated to spec group into an inch (almost) whereas bullets seated just off the lands push 3 to 3.5 inches - go figure.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I thought about it last night and loaded some more today. I used the 139 SSTs' and added IMR 4350 and Ramshot Hunter to the mix. These are all at listed COL and function well. I have am atlerless whitetail hunt coming in January and possibly an antelope hunt next fall. The 139's should be more than enough.

It will be a long, but fun day at the range. If it would just dry up!