In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Burn mark on one side of brass case?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
When I shoot my Uberti 45 Colt, I get a black soot mark on one side of the fired case, does that indicate some kind of problem with either my reloads or the chambers of the revolver?

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a low pressure cartridge, like the 45 Colt, it's fairly common.
    A different powder, or a bit more of the current one (if you can do so safely), may help as can adding a bit more crimp.

The case mouth need enough pressure buildup to seal aganst the chamber wall. If the required pressure level dosn't come until after the bullet leaves the case, you will get some "sooting".
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Quicker burn rate powder may solve your problem. The soot will not hurt anything just make it need more cleaning of gun and cases before reloading them.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at this this way: it's a positive and very reliable indication of low (SAFE!) pressures. If you are getting the bullet performance you want at low pressure, what's the down side?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Look at this this way: it's a positive and very reliable indication of low (SAFE!) pressures. If you are getting the bullet performance you want at low pressure, what's the down side?

I'm using 6.2 grains of Trail Boss, with a 200 grain Lead flat nose bullet, getting excellent accuracy, low recoil and low pressures, the empty cases drop right out of the chambers, so I won't worry about the soot! Thanks all for the replies!