In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Which scope reticle for target and plinking

aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
I just bought a new Remington 308 rifle (Milspec 5R 308 stainless heavy barrel with HS precision stock-similar to the M24 tactical rifle)..My current home range is 100 yards and I just shoot paper; I will hopefully shoot it at longer distances in the future. I need scope reticle advice. I want to buy a Leupold Mark 4 Tactical LR/T M1 4.5-14X, but I don't know which reticle to get. My choices are the familar Duplex, TMR (Tactical Milling Reticle) or Mildot. I will be shooting mostly targets and the Duplex is what I am used to; but the TMR and Leupold's Mildot (nothing in the center) but seemingly useful for ranging.. I would appreciate comments: is the TMR or Mildot a significant handicap for target (mostly) shooting? I see that Leupold lists only one Duplex and lots of Mildot and TMR in this scope. I would normally just buy the Leupold Target scope with Duplex, but I like the tactical extended M! knobs a lot, so I'll buy the tactical Mark 4. I will appreciate any and all comments. Thanks.

Comments

• midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy the target scope you want and have leupold install the tactical extended knobs for you. they can also add additional crosshairs and dots for you if you like.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have that same scope on a 700 LTR with the duplex reticle and it does just fine for punching paper. When you get a chance to wring it out at longer ranges you'll want to keep good notes on how many clicks you use to be on at 200, 300, etc. I have a set of flip-up scope covers and I put a piece of paper with the 'dope' for my rifle inside the cover of the eyepiece. Invest in a good rangefinder to go with your gun and you'll be set.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mildots are useful for estimating range to a target IF YOU KNOW ITS SIZE and for holdover IF YOU KNOW THE TRAJECTORY and for windage IF YOU JUDGE THE WIND RIGHT.

I shoot at known distances at standard targets and like plain or duplex crosshairs just fine.

But if you like other features of a scope that comes with dots, I don't think they will get in your way. I have seen some very complicated reticles that would mess with my mind, but I could handle the dots.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aap2,

With respect for your choice of a Leupold scope, I suggest that there are better scopes for less money and better scopes period. I will continue to describe Leupold Optics as 'over-priced and under delivered' until they change their way of thinking that they are the top dog of riflescopes.

Why buy a scope at a higher price only to have to send it back to change the knobs and reticle?

For most of us, the Vortex Viper PST (Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP Riflescope) is more than enough power range and better resolution that the Leupold product. It is available in MOA or MRAD reticles and either 1st or 2nd focal plane.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

This is a short video which explain visually about the difference between 1st and 2nd focal plane:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/first_vs_second_focal_plane

The one reticle that I like for basic longer yardage is the Zeiss Rapid-Z 800:

zeissrapidz800.jpg

You can search for a used Zeiss scope with this reticle or shop for best price, maybe on the GB Auction side or maybe at Bear Basin Outfitters...

Here is a website which can help you locate a range near you with extended shooting yardages.

http://www.wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp

Best.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1
    My NXS's have this one and it works well, but takes some practice.
    NP-1RRillum_zps019d2a4f.png