In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 x 45

I have a great deal of respect for the experience(s) and knowledge of many of y'all, so I figured I'd START here........

Who's shooting/reloading it and what would you care to share about this chambering?
I'm thinking about having a Howa bolt gun in .223 rebarreled to 6.5 x 45, so anything pertinent to that aspect would be interesting as well.
TIA guys!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 6.5mm. I'd be happier with more powder and bigger bullets in a longer action. The 256 Newton built on an FN Mauser by A&M was my dads best rifle. I think I still have some 180 grain bullets for it's 1 in 7.5 twist. I'll use the 140 and 160 in the bring back 6.5 Jap I got from my uncle.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I do not have a 6.5X45, but I do shoot a 7mmTCU (7mmX45 Imp). I can't saw more about the cartridge, I absolutely love shooting it. Extremely accurate, easy to load for, very efficient. I'm pulling 2000 FPS with 140gr PSP's out of a 14" Barrel. So far the best powder I have found has been 8208XBR, With 27.4gr and cheep bullets it is running .75" groups at 100 yards and still rings the gongs with authority at 300.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Back when I was shooting the 55 grain 5.56 at people I thought that the 6.5 would have been a very good use of another millimeter.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm working my way into a 6x45mm or 25/45 Sharpes but it's all uphill. I haven't measured the mag length on the Howa but I think that will be your first(maybe biggest) hurdle. Getting the OAL long enough to seat a decent weight bullet with powder space to achieve sufficient velocity is the challenge.
    Check out the 6.5 Whisper and 6.5 TCU.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies y'all...
    A little more on where I'm at with this idea; the Howa I 'm considering using has been a dream to load for, it seems to sh oot prasctically ANYTHING with acceptable accuracy, and many loads in the .3 (or smaller), but quite honestly, it;s gotten downright boring.
    I have a 22-250 that I need to do load work-up on, as well as a 25-06, so rebarrelling to something that will mimmick the ballistics of either of those chamberings seems redundant.
    I know I'm not going to achieve screaming velocities from a 6.5x45 and that's okay with me. The "allure" of the 6.5 bullets (SD and BC) and what seems to be a very effective use of a relatively small powder charge are the secondary reasons I'm looking at the 6.5x45.......and of course being able to use a large stash of .223 brass.....lol

Keep the comments coming, I'm listening.........
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Anything based on the .378" case head (.222) is a winner in my book.

6.5 bullets are much more expensive than .17, .20, and 6mm bullets. Since you have a 25-06, I'd be looking at the smaller alertnatives.