In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shooting Technics Question

IngallsIngalls Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
When I first started shooting handguns, not all that long ago, I would shoot using a 2 hand stance that looked like any action movie superhero. I was OK, but needed work. Ive since joined a bullseye club that quickly got me shooting one hand, and thats how I practice now. Just for the heck of it, I tried a two hand icosoles type hold the other day, and could barely hit the target at 25 yards. My question is, does anyone that shoots steels or other practical type matches shoot with a one hand hold? Or will I be laughed off the course. Do just bullseye and cowboy action shooters shoot one handed?

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My FIL, rest his soul, was a good Bullseye shooter, he also shot "combat" type stuff, steel plates, timed events, with a single hand, he was seldom beat on score. The secret is "align the sights and apply pressure to the trigger until it fires". That sounds easy, doing it quickly takes the training.

Good luck, keep shooting!
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    different gripping will change your point of impact
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have shot many years Bulls-Eye all one handed Went to a few Falling Plate matches and other type matches that most people shoot 2 handed . Now these were Local matches not The BIG BOYS . I received a lot of looks and smirks until I WON the falling plate match . I really Believe one handed will make you a MUCH better pistol shot at any other Types of matches However when you shoot with the big boys at their game you may want to go back to two hands IMHO it lets you move from one target to the next quicker and if you use the same sight alignment and trigger control as you do in Bull-Eye you WILL hit the target Remember speed is FINE but hitting your target is FINAL
  • IngallsIngalls Member Posts: 304 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses. I know there is a whole history about different holds, and police back in the day trained with a one hand hold. Im not looking to set any records, but I see that I can be competitive with what Im comfortable with.
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    one handed shooting will probably be better in a duel too. if you ever run into one. go andrew jackson!
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    In USPSA matches I like to shoot one handed if the targets are on one side, and am moving. It lets me walk (or run)straight quickly.
    Most other times I use two hands. Do what you are comfortable with, and if they hold a second match(a lot do to raise extra funds)then try it different ways, and see what works best.