In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mil-Dot Scope

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
Need to buy one. Want to spend no more than 500. Looking at Nikons.

What do you guys use? What would be my best bang for my buck (quality vs Price)? i know I could spend up to 2500 on good optics, but I can't justify that (neither can the fiance). 500 is a decent amount, and I would like a little more than 9 power. Hoping for 12 or 16 or even 24 (shooting 600+ yards for range, prolly won't use it past that but would like to try if I have the chance).

Another question. A Mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards. What power are they talking about? is it 3.6" @ 100 yds at 4 power? 10 power? Once that is figured out, then finding yardage should be easy (reading on how to use them and reading all the literature on mil dots). Thanks for the help guys!

-JD

Comments

• BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a very nice NIB Sightron Big Sky SII that I have up for auction. Very nice glass.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=162952784
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used and buy Nikon and Sightron SII. Both are nice in that price range. I know what you mean, at current time(for me) is hard to go over 1k for a scope. The Bushnell elite series has good glass as well, the 4200 and 6500. I don't think you can get a 6500 for under $500 though.

I would probable buy in that order.

Nikon(Use two)
    Sightron(on 204 Ruger hvy barrel), as good good to me but slightly less eye relief.
    Bushnell Elite 4200,3200 or 6500(that will be going on Grendel).
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by uni82
    Need to buy one. Want to spend no more than 500. Looking at Nikons.

What do you guys use? What would be my best bang for my buck (quality vs Price)? i know I could spend up to 2500 on good optics, but I can't justify that (neither can the fiance). 500 is a decent amount, and I would like a little more than 9 power. Hoping for 12 or 16 or even 24 (shooting 600+ yards for range, prolly won't use it past that but would like to try if I have the chance).

Another question. A Mil is 3.6 inches at 100 yards. What power are they talking about? is it 3.6" @ 100 yds at 4 power? 10 power? Once that is figured out, then finding yardage should be easy (reading on how to use them and reading all the literature on mil dots). Thanks for the help guys!

-JD

From what I've sen and used, both Nikon and Sightron will give you good service. I would give the better glass to Nikon though.

You ask a good question as that's what you will need to know to make it work. The answer is: "It's different with every scope." I had a Sightron 3-9 mil-dot 2FP. Mil corresponding power was nine. They didn't say that in the instructions. I had to call. In my Nikon it's 14X on a 16X. Same with my Burris 4-16X. But my Burris 6-24X is 15X. And a Leupy that is 10X. Ten is a nice round number. And you can half that at 20. So, while some are the same most are different. Find out what your scope is and check it at the range.

Now, if you have an FFP, it doesn't matter. The reticle always stays the same size to the target.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burris signature select series, balistic mil-dot reticle and great glass.
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a NC Star 6-24 x 50 Illuminated mil dot on my 50bmg and so far it has held up well, the mounts that come in the box with it aren't great for a 50 but may bu fine for a smaller caliber. It was about $150. the others mentioned are great too.
  • uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    U guys are fast with responses lemme tell you. Thanks for all your help. To be honest, I never heard of sightron before this post. I will look into it but thanks again for the fast responses, I think i might stick with the Nikon or Sightron. My 308 needs good optics.

-JD
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    Here is a very nice NIB Sightron Big Sky SII that I have up for auction. Very nice glass.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=162952784

does it include a sun shade? would u cut a deal if i got more than one (2,3 maybe 4 scopes)?

Thanks

-JD
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my first Nikon back in January. It is model number 8423, cost about 440 if I remember right. I compared another Monarch scope to a Bushnell 3200 and thought the Nikon had better glass. When looking for this scope I knew I wanted a mildot recticle and side parallax adjustment. I looked at the Bushnells, sightrons, Nikons, Burris, ect. I thought the Nikon was the best bang for my buck. Glass quality is very good, the adjustments are nice and crisp and accurate. Cons for it would be the lack of adjustment 40 MOA in comparison to the Bushnell's that have 60 or so if I remember correctly. You might also look at the Super Sniper scopes made by SWFA, they are supposed to be pretty good too.

If I was going to put it on a 308 though, I wouldn't want the Nikon due to its lack of adjustment.
    edited November -1
    i could just save a lot of my money and get a leupold mark. But again, that is right around 900-1500 if I wanted to spend it....I will never be a GREAT sniper by any means. So Im thinking a scope that is 8/10 will be suffice for me. I will still be hunting with it but try to shoot 600-1000 yards with. I think I could get a decent Nikon for what I'm willing to spend with great glass.

-JD
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by uni82
    I will still be hunting with it but try to shoot 600-1000 yards with.
    -JD

You will no doubt run out of adjustment with the a Nikon Monarch. The Nikon Monarch X wouldn't or an older used Monarch Tactical, which they say are better then the new X scopes.
  • HawksterHawkster Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Which MilDot scope you choose should be based upon the weapon you will be mounting it on. On my barrett 50 when it came was a Bushnell 10x 3200 elite. This was not the best choice for this weapon, so I chose to replace it with a Leupold MK IV LRT. I will however, use the 3200 on my M1A, should handle the recoil there fine. I chose the Nikon for my Ruger Tactical M77LE. After researching its specs. I decided it would work fine for this weapon. On my Rem 700P-TWS I again went with the Leupold Mar IV system, also on the sister 700P in 300 WM. The reason I did this was because I had the money to spend on the Leupold systems! I chose the Nikon, becuase I liked how other Nikons worked on my other rifles. Money wise: Leupold Mark IV's $ 12-1500.00 w/o rings and bases! Nikon - $300.00 range. When looking at rings and bases, Leupold is going to add up to around $250.00 complete. You can do some heavy duty burris tactical rings and Badger bases for lots less. Your choice!

Regarding the MilDots, here is how it works: it depends on what scope you have, first focal plane(FFP) or second focal plane(SFP)if your scope is FFP then your dots will be good to go regardless of power setting! If you scope is SFP then your dots will be set for one setting, usually the highest! I hope this helps, MilDots are great fun to shoot, but can be a little tricky until you use them for a while. If you want a handy little item that helps alot, get yourself a "mildot master". It is a slide rule type calculator that helps expain hot they work. Good Luck & enjoy[:)]
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Optics are always a good investment!
    edited November -1
    I am going to be a member soon at a 600 yard range. I REALLY want to get good grouping with my 308. I believe they have a 600 yard shooting day. I dont know if they compete, but if they do I would like to keep up with the competition (after a lot of practicing to get good grouping). This is why I will be need good clear optics. I think I will be looking into a Nikon Monarch X. I will advocate to spend quite a bit. Maybe out of my fiance's price range, but what she doesn't know really wont hurt her. haha.

As for mil dot, I have been a lot of research on the use of them and how they work. I just need to buy one. Does bushnell or Burris have good mil dot optics that have decent adjustment range? How about a Nikko Stirling? I hit a plate at 600 yards with a 3.5X10 nikko stirling, but it took about 2-3 rounds. Is Nikko stirling a good company? You guys know A LOT more than I do. Thanks for all the help so far, you guys are awesome!

-JD
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unfortunately, lots of MOA range seems to exist in the higher end scopes costing lots of $$$. 30MM tubes are great for increasing that.

1 20moa base will make up for some of that lack of adjustment.

Try looking into a used IOR valdada or leupold LR.