In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.62x39 bullets loaded into 7.62x54 cases.

I was wondering if anyone has done this?

I was considering The potential velocity gain by useing 125 grain bullets with the 7.62x54.

Does anyone know what the maximum V. gain would be?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watch the bullet diameter vs. the bore diameter.[;)]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon shows load data for 110, 125, 150, 165, 180, 200, and 220 grain bullets in 7.62x54R.
    They used .308" bullets to get that much variety so some "working up" would be smart with .310" AK bullets, even though they would likely be a better fit to the barrel.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've done it, they can shoot pretty well too.

You won't realize the 4000fps you do with the 46 gr gallery training ammo, but you should be able to get over 3000 fps without issue with the 123 grain bullets.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah, another acolyte at the altar of the Great God Max Velo, huh?

To find out the velocity change, just apply General Ballistic Rule One:
    When case capacity and bore diameter remain the same, velocity varies at one half the percentage change of bullet weight.

In this instance, a 125-gr is about 17% lighter than a 150-gr bullet, so the lighter bullet should be able achieve about 9% greater velocity - if fired at the same pressure. If maximum speed of the 150 is 2800 fps, then you probably will get about 3050 fps with a 125.

Of course, the lighter bullet, having a lower ballistic coefficient, will also slow down and drop at a faster rate than the heavier bullet; it will blow off course more as well. This allows you to miss farther with the lighter bullet.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    I didnt know that equation, thank you very much Rocky.