In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Household cleaners

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
I am looking for household type stuff to soak tarnished brass in to remove the tarnish, I can then polish it in the tumbler.

What house hold chemicals will clean brass yet not damage it like ammonia does???? Will running it in the dishwasher do the trick?

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a link you might find useful:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=83572
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky, you are two for two helping me out this week!
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    There were some posts about using vinegar a while back.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're welcome. I guess even gun writers are good for something, huh?

Yea, and you sure write well too!!!! [:D]
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Citric acid, or white vinegar/water mix; or 1 bottle of no-drip coffee cleaner solution mixed with a gallon of water.

These will remove tarnish but will all leave a slightly red tint to the brass. It then buffs off pretty quickly once tumbled.
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used denture cleaner with vatying degrees of success.
    GH1[:)]
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dill Pickle juice. It works much better than straight vinegar. Soak for about 3 minutes, rinse with hot water, dry and tumble. I have taken brass that was completely tarnished and made it look very close to new. Old family secret that has been used for at least 60 years in my family.[;)]
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    TOB--check this stuff out, it does a super job on cleaning any condition your brass can get into....
    http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MRBRUCE, that looks great until I see that I have to buy a new tumbler. To bad I would try it if I could use the tumblers I have.
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where do you see that you need a special tumbler for the s/s/ media?
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend wore out a Lyman vibratory tumbler in short order with a load of wet ceramic media. The rotary is more durable with such a heavy load.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gknaka2
    Where do you see that you need a special tumbler for the s/s/ media?

You have to use a rotary type tumbler, not a vibratory tumbler like most "reloading" tumblers. Steel media is little cylinder type media of various sizes. It doesn't work very good in a vibratory tumbler. You put some water, your parts, and media in a rotor tumbler and it works pretty well. I haven't done brass, but machined parts, it works great.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    A friend wore out a Lyman vibratory tumbler in short order with a load of wet ceramic media. The rotary is more durable with such a heavy load.

If it was an industrial tumbler, he would have been fine. But lets be honest here, a $50-$60 tumbler is no match for a $1000 + tumbler.
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have heard of folks that have used clothes washers and dryers for tumbling. Perhaps a nice front loading machine with one of those zip up clothes bags for delicates (the really fine mesh ones) filled with the media would do the trick.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    The problem with the SS pins and a vibratory is the heavy pins will end up on the bottom doing no good at all.. Use them with a tumbler and it gets really good at what it does...
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kosher salt & warm vinegar - [about 4 tbs. salt to a qt. of 5%vinegar] - let soak 4 - 5 mins. then strain and rinse with hot water.
    I suspect this is why BHAVIN's dill brine works well.
    This a very old formula for cleaning brass or copper.
    On other items the solution can be mixed with flour to form a paste;
    then let dry and polish with a soft cloth. Be careful not to get near any steel or other ferrous metal. Rinse & dry well.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CLR (calcium lime rust) soak them in that and water.