In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cheap Bulk 44 Mag Jacketed Bullets- Where?

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
Getting tired of cleaning out the lead from 629 from so much shooting, so I'm looking into switching over to jacketed bullets instead of the lead ones I'm reloading.

Does anyone know where the best bulk buys for any jacketed (flat point, hollow point, round nose, etc.) .429/.430 bullets are?

I've been using Graf & Sons, but don't know if they can be beat.

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powder valley Inc. for bullets, primers and powder.

If you are having issues with lead bullets out of a 44 mag the bullets are not sized to your bore, too soft or using the wrong lube.

I drive the Keith style 240 SWC plain based bullet from a Lyman mold with 22 grains of 2400 with no leading. They are cast from 80% wheel weights and 20% Linotype Alox bees wax lube.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 bpost. I'd bet that it some of the hard red lube that looks nice, doesn't stick to your fingers or the box but doesn't help with leading.
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berry's Bullets , I have not used their 44's , but the 9's and 45's are great and cheap. Free shipping on quantity buys.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c16-44_Cal_.429.aspx
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on Berrys. I've loaded their .45 and .357 plated bullets, they work very well and cut down on leading when driven at reasonable velocity.

I have a box of .44 plated HP bullets I am itching to load into a batch of .44 Special cases I just picked up on GB. Maybe I'll get some time this weekend....
  • craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for Gil Berry and his plated bullets. I have been using them in my M-29 and my Marlin 1894-P with excellent results, even with the heavy "Ballard" rifling of the Marlin. They come in flat-point and HP. I keep the velocity below 1300 in the 29 and use the same load in the carbine.
  • floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You for all the replies, I've recently purchased 1000 .45 plated bullets from Berrys.

The only reason I haven't purchased them for the Magnum loads is because they don't recommend them for Magnum loads. They also don't recommend tight crimping, so I passed on them.

However, I will get another 500-1000 for the 44 Special loads. Maybe I'll try some "light" Magnum loads as well.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by craig 25-06
    http://powerbondbullets.com/

Just ordered 1000 44 HP 240 grain bullets. [:D]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been satisfied with the accuracy of plated bullets. They have never been any where near as accurate as a jacketed or good cast bullet.

YMMV
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Riomouse911
    +1 on Berrys. I've loaded their .45 and .357 plated bullets, they work very well and cut down on leading when driven at reasonable velocity.

I have a box of .44 plated HP bullets I am itching to load into a batch of .44 Special cases I just picked up on GB. Maybe I'll get some time this weekend....

Let us know how they work!
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always get good deals on bulk bullet orders at this place called
    " Gun Broker " ever heard of it ?

Check out the auction side for all your bullet needs !!!
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The least expencive bult 44mag bullets I've found are Remington.
    They are 500rd boxes.
    www.huntingtons.com has 240gr for $132.10-500 or $228.95-1000
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree plated bullets are not the way to go. Plated bullets generally can't be crimped and I don't like the accuracy. For the price go get those remington bulk bullets. I use them for my 44 as well as my 357's. Load um up big with no lead issues.