In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shelf price of CCI .22 ammo?

bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
Well I got hooked today.

I shot my first bowling pin shoot at the local gun club. I shot the .22cal rifle, center fire revolver, center fire pistol, & .22cal pistol classes.

They had an uneven bracket in the .22 pistol class & I said, "someone give me a gun & I'll shoot it to even the brackets up." Someone handed me a S&W 22A with fat grips & a scope.

Now I'm searching on GB for a .22cal target pistol & some ammo to feed it.

That being said, I haven't even seen .22LR on the self for so long(1-2 years it feels like) I don't know what the going rate is.

I was buying 550-500rd bulk boxes(Rem or Federal) for ~$24-$28. I think I was buying CCI 100rd sleeves of Mini-Mag & Stingers for $8-10.

Do those prices sound close for "Wal-Mart" priced ammo?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last brick I bought a year or so ago was like $28 for Remington golden bullets. Stood in line for a while at Sportsman Warehouse to get them. They shot ok in my High Standard HD Military. I much prefer to shoot my 22 Jet.

I turned down a free Buckmark a few weeks ago. I have a MarkII stainless bull barrel. Have some time with a 41 and the 22A. Some pistols shoot better than others.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Browning Buckmark is great if your finger fits the trigger. A Ruger MKII target with a Volquartson match trigger kit is a fantastic shooter.

Welcome to the fun. Competitive shooting is the most fun you can have in my way of thinking.

Good luck finding ammo, hoarders are still ruining the market.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Palmetto State Armory has several choices in 22lr for going rate to keep in stock(too high to resell for profit)

I second the buckmark or Ruger choices.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.

I'll have to start watching the auctions on some of those & see what kind a deal I can find on something.
  • Options
    MemphisJim1MemphisJim1 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My competition pistols are a Ruger MkIII Hunter (I like the fluted heavy barrel on it better than the slab sided one on the Target models) for semi-auto and a Smith & Wesson Model 617 (10-shot) for revolver. Both are red dot equipped (a concession to my 71-year-old eyes). The Mk III is bone stock and the 617 has had a trigger job. I love both of 'em.

CCI MiniMag 40 gr. solid is my "go to" ammo for them. Fortunately I bought a few extra boxes each time I shopped pre-the-current-panic so I had a good supply to see me through. I've scored some here and there since. I long ago gave up on WalMart 'cause the same guys are there each morning to grab whatever's available before it hits the shelves (and is on auction sites before day's end at hideously inflated prices). I used to buy 100 packs at Wally World for $6.45 or so. Last I heard, they were up to $6.99. I follow the auction side and gleefully note the speculators are still posting their 'gouge' prices but the market largely isn't responding (a nice way of saying the gougers must be eating their own ammo).

My fall back is Federal AutoMatch 40. gr. solid. I used to buy it at WM for about $15 a 325 pack. Paid $22.00 + tax for one yesterday at the local Sportman's Warehouse.

Supplies of .22LR ammo generally seem to be tight still in most parts of the country so one just has to look harder and longer (and be lucky enough to be in the right place when some hits the shelves). No question, it's a PITA but I for one find the effort worthwhile 'cause to me shooting is the most fun thing I do standing.