In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

38spL 100gr dewc

hickeynyhickeyny Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
hi looking for load data for 100gr 38spL dewc thanks tom

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The Hodgdon has data for 90gr lead-
    3.0-5.0gr. Trailboss
    3.0-3.5gr. Titegroup
    2.5-3.0gr. Clays.
    I,d try the starting loads for the 100gr.
    I found a load of 3.0gr. W231 for a 100gr.
    Looks like 3.0grs of one of the above should work.
  • gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am also wanting to try the DEWC. Do you seat these flush like the HBWC? My thinking is the only reason this is ok with the HBWC is that the cavity accomodates much of the pressure. I would think not so with the DEWC because the base is solid.

Anyone with experience with this round chime in?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Most DEWC's have a crimp groove near the end. Set the die for this.
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've not heard of this bullet, who makes it? The only wadcutter I've ever heard of are 148 gr. I bet the 100 gr bullets are very comfortable to shoot.
    GH1[:)]
    edited November -1
    Nor me...no offense intended OP but are you sure these aren't .32 caliber bullets?
  • ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never heard of them before either, but here they are.

http://www.mastercast.net/amo.htm
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Mastercast stuff on that page is ammo, not bullets. However if you go to their home page & select the hard cast bullets page from the column on the left it will show the 100gr DEWC available for reloading. At $26.00/500 that sure is an economical target/plinking round.
    Here's a few loads for the 90 gr from my Lyman 49th edition
    700X 3.0-5.0
    Clays 4.5-5.0
    Bullseye 3.3-5.3
    231 3.5-5.7
    Titegroup 5.7-6.4

GH1[:)]
  • hickeynyhickeyny Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the in-fo i just got back from the club i loaded 3.0 3.5 4.0 4.5 of bullseye with 100 gr dewc the 4.0 at 25yrd is the load for me in 686 4in 10 x
    edited November -1
    How did they group compared to the 148 gr
  • hickeynyhickeyny Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    for years i have shot 148 hbwc the 100gr is tighter 3/4 to 1/2 in at 25yrd off hand
  • gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Continuing the wadcutter theme: I just traded for a Colt Officers Model Match, set up for bullseye shooting - shortened cylinder & set back 6" barrel etc. It came with load data listing a 148 gr. HBWC & 2.8 grs. of Bullseye powder - a test target came with this combination - 7/8" @ 50 yds. (Ransom rest)
    I have never reloaded wadcutters and would like to know if there have been any other great loads in the 50+ years since this revolver was made.
    Is there any accuracy difference or advantage between HBWC & DEWC bullets?

Thank you,
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
    edited November -1
    The load you mentioned is a superb target load. Equal or better is the same bullet with 3.0 to 3.1gr W231.

Judging by posts on the Bullseye Forum (the competition, not the powder), most use the 231.
    edited November -1
    Never shot DEWC so can't say, but by design the HBWC should be more accurate. The whole purpose of the hollow base is so the bullet can expand and obturate in the barrel, forming a tight seal. This gives the bullet its accuracy.

Perhaps others that have shot both can chime in.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hollow base will fill the grooves and seal at quite low pressure. This is important when shooting light target type loads.