In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder choice for 38 spl wadcutters

kshockkshock Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
I need some info from someone much better versed in reloading than myself. I load 38 spl 148 HBWC using 2.4 grains of Clays. Not much wiggle room with Clays as the min. load is 2.3 grains and the max is 2.5grains. While looking at the load data from Hodgdon, I noticed that the load data for Titegroup showed a wider range, higher velocities while having less pressure. Is there a logical reason not to use the Titegroup since it would yield a little higher velocity while generating less pressure? I guess the pressure is what has me concerned as the velocities are not that important in this type of load, and I do not want to much velocity using the hollow based bullets.

Comments

• hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use titegroup in a lot of my loads and love it. If you can keep up fps to your likeing and decrease pressure, whats not to like about that?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Bulls-Eye is hard to beat on price and group size. HBWC bullets also work well at target velocity.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    2.7grs. of bulls-eye behind a 148HBWC is hard to beat.
  • Dumpster BabyDumpster Baby Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.reloadammo.com/38loads.htm

I've used Bullseye and Unique. Here's a bunch of .38 load data.
  • grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique has always worked good for me.I have shot a bunch of .38 and .357 in 148, 125 (my best load) and 158 gr. Start low wnd work up.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I use alot of Unique and Bullseye.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tite Group is very, Bullseye-ish, by that I mean it uses low charge weights, like Bullseye but burns very cleanly.
  • Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullseye: Perry and DCS and I are all about the same age!!!

The side effect is called, "Bullseye throat", which gives you a good reason to clear it up with lots of beer after the match!!!
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I like your thinking Bill J [:p][^]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Bullseye is my favorite pistol powder bar none. Works great in everything I own from .32 acp through 45, including 9mm, .38, etc.

Also fun for cat sneeze loads in cast bullet rifle applications. 6 gr of bullseye in a 30 cal rifle cartridge with a cast bullet in the 150-180 range sounds like a 22 and can be darned accurate at 50 yards.
  • partisanpartisan Member Posts: 6,414
    edited November -1
    Titegroup is a great powder! I use to use Bulleye, but Titegroup burns cleaner.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Bullseye throat, a sweet taste in the back of your throat, comes from the burning nitroglycerin contained in the powder. I read some where once that Bullseye was about 60% nitro. No wonder it takes a couple of beers after the match to clear your throat......[:)]

Tite group, looks to be a modern formulation for Bullseye and is very clean, burning, unlike Bullseye. Oddly, the charges are just about identical, leading one to believe the burn rate must be about the same.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Kshock - do you want to switch from Clays just due to the pressure? While all the powders listed by the others are great also, clays offers a very broad range for shotgun and most pistol, is very clean burning, and is very available. If your shooting Bullseye in a 1911 modified gun or a S&W 52, the little extra pressure is actually helpful IMHO. The 2.4 Clays is also very accurate (not that the other two are not).

I wasn't quite sure where you were going with your question. Yes there are other great powders, but most accurate loads for a given bullet in a given gun is no more +-1 grain.

In any event, try some of the powders listed and see what you like, ll are good recommendations.
  • kshockkshock Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I was not clear in my question. I like the 2.4 grains of Clays, but worry some about the pressure because there is no room for error. I noticed the data for Titegroup allowed much more wiggle room and had lower pressures to boot. That made me wonder why anyone would not prefer the Titegroup with the larger range of charge weights, higher velocities and less pressure.I guess I am wondering if I am missing something here or there is a lot more to the equation than what I am seeing.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    There is a "lot more" to it. Some is personal comfort, how many different powders do you want to stock, how does the powder feed thru your dropper and trickler, how does your gun perform with the different powders.

My choice of Clays is due to the vast range of things I load with it and the feed in my equipment. Most guys I know use Bullseye or Titegroup if they are loading for pistol only. From a ransom rest I have not found that the Bullseye or Titegroup was "more accurate" in my guns.

All three listed are good, and +- .1 grain is not a big issue to me in pressure and ability to produce a consistent load. (when I used to use a Lyman #55 dropper it was a big issue with 700X)

Again, buy a pound of each and try it, see what you feel comfortable with.
  • rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As so many have been saying Bullseye is hard to beat. It has been around forever and anyone who loads pistol ammo has almost certainly used it. It works and is economical.

Since you are concerned about pressure and are happy with relativly low velocities and lead bullets you might consider trying Trail Boss. I bought some to use for 45-70, 38-40, 45 Colt, etc. Since I had it I tried it in 38 Special (3.3 grs. with a Lyman 125 gr. cast SWC makes a nice, pleasant to shoot plinking load with lots of "wiggle room" if you want to go for a little more velocity).
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kshock
    I load 38 spl 148 HBWC using 2.4 grains of Clays. Not much wiggle room with Clays as the min. load is 2.3 grains and the max is 2.5grains.

I have Clays Universal down for a minumum 2.6 grains and a max of 3.6 grains. That's the fastest burning powder in my load data. I like Win. 231. I use it on several calibers. I have a minimum of 2.2 grains and a max of 3.5. That puts you pretty close to where I believe you already are as far as filling it up.

You could go with some slower burnin powders like Titegroup. 1.9 gr for minimum and 3 gr for max. Every gun is different, and the beauty of reloading is to tinker around to find the "recipe" that works best for your particular shootin iron.

You might want to update your reload data. I've just started getting new books, and there have been a lot of changes. I went from a 2nd edition Hornady book to a 4th, and just got a 7th.

Now I have to update the rest of them. You can also get a lot of other load data online from bullet manufacturer sites.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I have used Bullseye for many years. Titegroup is the NEW go to powder. It is cheaper than bullseye (at least in my part of the country), burns much, much cleaner, measures great & I have yet to find a pistol cartridge that you can't use it for. It is not position sensitive so it works great in big cases like the 45LC & 44 Mag. Titgroup is great for target loads.