In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

H4350 or IMR4350?

redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
I am going to do some reloading for my Weatherby Vanguard in .270 Win.

I did some research and 4350 cam up as a frequently used powder, so I think I am going to give it a try.

What is the difference between Hodgdon 4350 and IMR 4350? On the burn speed chart I have, they are right next to each other.

If I am going to be loading 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips for Minnesota whitetail deer, is one better than the other?

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are both very good powders. The Hodgdon powder is one of their "Extreme" powders, touted as having a degree of temperature insensitivity. If you load warm and hunt cold, that might be an advantage.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been told that the data is interchangable for both...
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon shows different charge weights for the two powders for most or all loadings, and they market both their own and IMR powders. They are clearly not the same powder; at a minimum they are made in different plants on different continents.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SSG ZAG

Starting point may be interchangeable, but that's it. The new Extreme 4350 is a very different powder than the old H4350. But, it's made to very closely mimic the burn and pressure rates of the older powder.

IMR4350 is still pretty much the same original formula it always has been. If you do have access to each powder, note the different sized kernels. H4350x is a lot smaller and meters a lot better.

Added, Edit: Both powders are pretty close, but not the same so each needs to be worked up by itself with the load parameters you intend to come out with.

And, as a general rule, they are great powders for the .270 Win
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Steve,
    Not to get off topic, but have you thought about different powder?
    I've loaded for the 270 Winchester for 40+ years and have always had good results with H4831. My ol dad read everything Jack O'Connor wrote, and killed alot of elk with a 270 and O'Connor's recipe with Nosler bullets.
    Originaly O'Connor used magnum primers with the old H4831 stick powder. The old stick powder was a little harder to light, the hotter primer helped. Today I use 59 grains of H4831SC a Winchester WLR primer and a 140 gr. Nosler AccuBond bullet. Shoots 1 hole at 100 yards. You should start at 57grains and work up, watching for presure signs. This is the modern variation of the original load.
    I currenty own 3 270s, and have probably owned and shot atleast 20 over the years using this load. All but one has shot this load better than anything else I've tried. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Enjoy your 270, and read some Jack O'Connor.
    W.D.
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use IMR 4350 in .30-06 and .280 REM. It works terrific in both for me, easy to meter, good velocity. I dont know about the H4350, but like others here I understand it is very similar.

As CapnMidnight says, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so I'm sticking with what works.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use H4530, H4831SC, & H1000 for my 7mm rem mag. They all work well for their specific bullet weights.(H1000 mostly for 162gr)(H4831SC for 140-150gr)(H4530 for 130-140gr)

I think you would do much better with the H4831SC, you should buy a # and try it.
  • redpeteredpete Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Steve,
    Not to get off topic, but have you thought about different powder?
    I've loaded for the 270 Winchester for 40+ years and have always had good results with H4831. My ol dad read everything Jack O'Connor wrote, and killed alot of elk with a 270 and O'Connor's recipe with Nosler bullets.
    Originaly O'Connor used magnum primers with the old H4831 stick powder. The old stick powder was a little harder to light, the hotter primer helped. Today I use 59 grains of H4831SC a Winchester WLR primer and a 140 gr. Nosler AccuBond bullet. Shoots 1 hole at 100 yards. You should start at 57grains and work up, watching for presure signs. This is the modern variation of the original load.
    I currenty own 3 270s, and have probably owned and shot atleast 20 over the years using this load. All but one has shot this load better than anything else I've tried. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. Enjoy your 270, and read some Jack O'Connor.
    W.D.

I am open for any suggestions...I don't have a huge selection of powder at my house, so with my new .270 I am looking to try something new. The two brands of 4350 seemed to come up frequently, so I thought I would start a thread with them, but I really like the other ideas people are posting. I will pick a couple and give them a try this spring.

Keep the suggestions coming!
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think you could go wrong with the lighter bullits(130gr) and a 4350 powder. I may try RL-17, similiar burn rate as IMR4350 and should give a bit more velocity. But any should give you adequate results, I don't think the game will complane.

I would only go away from the 4350 burn rate if you go heavier bullit or rifle won't shoot well.

Powders in the 4350 range. H4350, IMR4350, RL-17, Ramshot Hunter and Accurate 4350. All will give similiar burn rate but data IS NOT the same. I have used all but Accurate, IMR4350 use to be my go to powder, I have somewhat changed to RL-17 or Hunter. Depending on application.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H4350 is just a RCH slower. IMHO[;)]
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SSG ZAG

No, Sir! Look to your manuals. Some of the loads are considerably different.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Reloader 22 with 130 gr. and H4831 with 150.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "H4350 is just a RCH slower. IMHO"

Hard to argue with, or dispute, such discriminating data! [:D]
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    "H4350 is just a RCH slower. IMHO"

Hard to argue with, or dispute, such discriminating data! [:D]

Comparing H4350 to IMR4350, I usually prefer or test the H4350 first, because it seems to be not quite as critical of the powder charge for grain load accuracy as compared to the IMR. But do not assume both use the SAME load data. Consult a manual.
    For your caliber hunting rifle, I usually test H4831 first, H4350 second and if I cannot get a decent group from either powder, I know I have to look elsewhere for the problem. (I've never seen a hunting rifle that did not like H4350 and like IMR4350 or vice versa, but IMR 4350 powder charge can sometimes be 1/2 grain critical of accuracy whereas H4350 can sometimes be varied by 2 grains before accuracy suffers!(I test the IMR4350 in 1/2 gr increments for a 270, because sometimes 1 gr is difference in a 1 inch group vs a 2 inch group with just a 1 gr difference, whereas H4350 don't seem quite as critical usually) Just to give you an idea of what I mean by accuracy in a hunting rifle, (I like to see not over 1 1/4 inch average accuracy at 100 yards for a hunting rifle)
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's kind of like choosing the Blonde or the Redhead , There's no bad choice . I use the IMR , mostly because that's what I started with and am more familiar with , no need for both at my bench ! It would be nice if they would come out with 4350 in an SC or SSC version though .