In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First Squib

Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
AND LAST!! I hope. I've been having little problem with the primer tube on my Dillon 550 and must have got one out of sequence, so no powder in the case. Fortunately the bullet did not go far enough down the barrel to allow the next round into the chamber. I was shooting tactical/practical competition with my head gear on and I did not hear the primer only discharge and the RO did not inform me of the squib. So I got real lucky on this one.[V][:(][B)][:0]

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I had a problem with a Lee turret press picking up a charge years ago. It cost me a Douglas custom barrel in my Caspian 1911.
    Got rid of that POS and went Dillon. Have had no problems since.
    I pull the primers tube on it once a year to clean.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    On RL450 i always look into the case before seating. Plus i drop powder before trying to seat a primer.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 243winxb
    On RL450 i always look into the case before seating. Plus i drop powder before trying to seat a primer.

?
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On RL450 i always look into the case before seating. Plus i drop powder before trying to seat a primer. What?
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    On RL450 i always look into the case before seating. Plus i drop powder before trying to seat a primer. What?

What?^3
  • bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    + 1 for single stage....
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
  • countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1

Do you have to put the primer in quick to keep the powder from running out?
  • NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should ALWAYS look to ensure powder has dropped. No matter what the press. My LEE has never failed me yet...but I still check.

How the heck do you drop a powder charge BEFORE you prime????
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load seated at the D550 and can see the powder level in a 9mm or .45. But I can't with a tall skinny revolver cartridge.
    I used to load .38s standing at a CH AutoCHamp but would rather not have to manage that finicky machine any more.

A friend says he watches the powder bar for full stroke when loading for a caliber too tall to see down into and has never had a short or zero load. I will see what that does for me, it ought to be ok, I load most non-magnums with W231/HP38 which meters very well. I have never seen a short load with it in setups that I can watch.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

What?^3

He's just asking for a BIG BOOOM [:0]
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's quite a trick [:0]quote:Originally posted by 243winxb
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:)] The Dillon RL450 progressive has 4 stations. You can do what needs to be done in any order before moving the shell plate. 1. size/deprime/seat new primer. 2.flare/drop powder. 3.seat bullet. 4.taper crimp. Sort of like doing each step on a single stage press. Its not fast, but it works. [:D] DillonRL-450A-1.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    243win.... sorry I,m still not with you on this one. Your newly posted description seems to outline a normal loading sequence but your earlier statement is a different sequence, and dangerous,if not sometime impossible due to powder leakage, sequence.

Pistolero---sorry for hijacking the thread but this may be an accident in the making.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm good and I do look in for powder charge. I just messed up this time. Don't expect to do it again. 1 in 40,000 rounds is once to many.[V]
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    243winxb,

You should NEVER, and I do mean NEVER drop powder before seating primers. With flake powder like clays it won't matter so much, but any other ball type powder, it will go out the primer hole. You then don't know how much weight you still have left in the case of smokeless powder, and if any is in the corners of the primer pocket waiting to get scrunched and go off.

Again, my advice is to prime then dump powder.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    What hearing protection were you using? Even with earphones on I hear a squib, and certainly FEEL the difference in report and lack of recoil.

I'm also curious as to what gun and caliber. In my experience, a sqib in a semi auto either doesn't cycle the action, or if it does it had enough power to get the bullet out even if it was a bit slower than intended.