In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.223 neck size problem

odinsonodinson Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
This has probably been covered but I couldn't find it. Here's the problem: I use Lyman's two die set for neck sizing only. When I try to seat the bullet it is not very tight in the neck. Can be pushed into the casing with your finger. I don't have the instructions for these dies. They don't seem to have a neck crimp capability. Any suggestions. I am using once fired cases, fired from my rifle. I have used a few different types of bullets with the same results. oh, by the waty I am reloading .223.
thanks,
Ken

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Pull the decaping-expander rod and measure the expander button.
    You are either not getting the neck sized down enough or the expander button is the wrong size.
    You cango to the Lyman web site and look up your neck size set and down load and copy the instructions.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman has two sizes of expander balls. One is for jacketed bullets and one for cast bullets which is larger, perhaps your die set has the larger one thus the loose fit with your bullets.
  • odinsonodinson Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will look on their site and see what I can find out. It doesn't seem like the dies are expanding the neck at all though.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pull the ball and size the case, then see if the bullets fit tight. Might be a worn out die or miss milled!
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by odinson
    I will look on their site and see what I can find out. It doesn't seem like the dies are expanding the neck at all though.

If he die wasn't expanding the neck, the bullet would not go into it, or would shave jacket material. I think you mean, compressing the neck down.
    There is a steel "BALL" on the decpping rod that expands the neck out so the bullet will start into it, after the die compresses it.