In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Optimum barrel length for 6.5 Swede

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
I'm thinking of chopping up a Swede, setting back the barrel to rethroat for a 139 grain bullet and restock with a full length Mannlicher.
What barrel length is optimum for the 6.5 Swede ?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    V35,

IMO, 28". I say that because the CG-63 I had, had a 28" barrel and it shot 'par excellence'. I always got better velocities out of it than I do my current CZ 550 in 6.5x55.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 6.5mm pills (long range, long bearing surface) fall into their accuracy node around 2950FPS +/-. My 6.5x55AI runs perfectly through a 26", 1:8 twist, 4 groove barrel at that muzzle velocity.

100_0981.jpg

100_0980.jpg
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the AI designation applicable to any standard cartridge that has the shoulder blown out in the Ackley manner?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Is the AI designation applicable to any standard cartridge that has the shoulder blown out in the Ackley manner?

My take on that is only those cartridges with shoulder blown out to 40 deg. and the diameter blown out to .459. Otherwise it's an 'improved' case with no AI for 'Ackley Improved'. Or often-times, such as the 6mmXC and 6mm Creedmoor, improved cases start out proprietary.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are planning on a Mannlicher stock, you are more interested in style than extreme accuracy or long range. Aren't you?
    Real Mannlicher Schoenauers run from 17.7 - 20 inch barrels in full stocks. Most of the other brands in the style settled out at 20 inches. The CZ 550FS is cataloged at 20.6", which is strange, it doesn't come out even in metric. I vaguely recall seeing a full stock 22 inch that did not look out of proportion. There were some built longer in The Old Days, but they look a bit funny.

I don't know if you will be able to tell the difference in a barrel set back on a 139 gr bullet when it is bound up in a full stock.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Technically, it isn't an "Ackley Improved" unless it was originally done by Ackley himself. Improving a round he never worked with shouldn't have his name attached.

By the way, Ackley himself said that "Improved" was a terrible word choice because it implies that such modified rounds are invariably "better" than the unchanged round - and they usually aren't.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

no, most are just given the AI designation, since Parker was the one who brought these changed cases into the public eye, more or less. The correct designation would simply be "improved" or some other name.

I prefer them (have a 6.5-06imp, 6.5x55imp, and 280AI) because they almost completely stop case stretch and headspace very positively off that shoulder. They don't get a huge amount of internal capacity increase or the mystical velocity increase claimed by some. the reason some folks get much improved velocities is because they have run the improved case so far up the pressure curve in their loading, due to the fact that improved cases don't show pressure signs anywhere near as readily as tapered cases with slow shoulder angles.

I discovered this by runnning a 6.5-06imp to 3208fps with a 140gr a-max out of a 26" barrel[:0] needless to say, even though there was no indication on high pressures on any of the cases, nor sticky bolt lift,....the primer pockets were pretty much wasted after that firing. Chronos are IMHO a must when working with improved cases.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well said, sir.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.