In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

PPU PRIMER PROBLEM!

gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
I was prepping a few thousand 380 brass this week, when I felt a weird "slip" of the handle of my trusty RCBS Rockchucker on the deprime stroke. I let the ram back down & tried to pull the case out of the shellholder; hung primer. So I popped the shellholder out, got my microlight in the hole & saw that the anvil was gone, but the primer had affixed itself to the primer pocket, and the flat part of the primer was hinged from a small piece of the primer's wall.
Glad I wasn't in a hurry.
Anyone else have a problem like this with PPU brass?
I had 23 out of 300 PPU do this.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How square is the primer pocket edge on the cases? Maybe a slight touch with the inside champhering tool to help the primer start. How much slop is there between the primer arm cup and the hole in the shell holder?

I prime everything I can with my 310 tool, best "feel" of any tool I have used.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Uh, there's no way to know that. The primers were being removed, as in De-primed. Since the walls of the primer cup are essentially "welded"to the walls of the primer pocket of the case, ascertainment of the condition of the corners of the primer pocket is impossible for those cases. Wish I had pictures.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read it as you hung the primer up priming the case. Military style ammo for use in machine guns are often sealed and crimped in place. I have on occasion pushed the anvil right threw the primer cup when de-priming US made 5.56, 7.62 Nato and even WWII 30-06. Loved military match brass - no crimped primers. I use a pocket knife with a clip blade to cut the crimp out after de-priming so you can easily re-prime. A Lyman primer pocket reamer will work too. The RCBS primer pocket swedge as made in the 70's wasn't all that good of a design.

I use my own special made block and punch with a hammer to de-prime military brass the first time, way better than bending pins in the press.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I have on occasion pushed the anvil right {threw} through the primer cup when de-priming US made 5.56, 7.62 Nato and even WWII 30-06"

This happens about 1% on some of the 7.62x51 range brass I bought over the years. Combination of sealant, corrosion from being left on the ground, and possibly brittle primer cups. I've not found a reasonable solution and throw those cases away or use them for dummy rounds.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put an old shellholder in a vise and use a light hammer and a punch to deprime any sealed or crimped primers just to be safe.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should