In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Load check please. .44 mag with WC820

Bought a bunch of virgin WC820 (lot #47320) awhile back for my m1 carbine (works great) then found out it's a good powder for magnum revolvers so I'm fixing to use it for that too. I've never used a surplus powder except for in my carbine and I was able to get lots of data for it with this powder but for 44 mag the internet seems to vary a lot. Some say use AA9 data others say H110. However, Hornady shows nearly a 4.5 grain difference between the two in this case.

The jug labels say to use H110 data -10% so using a 240 grain Hornady XTP and Hornady's h110 data (-10%) I intend to start with 18.6 grains and work up to 21.7. After the math, the max load should be 22.3 which I won't try.

I'll be using a chrony to help keep things safe.

Anybody have any experience with wc820 in the 44 mag? Do my numbers look safe? Anything else I need to know?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I'm with you on the different burn rates of WC820 [xx(]
    It looks like you are about right with your loads.
    Some say to use AA-9 data and others say H-110.
    I've seen someone using 23-24grs. of it with hardcast lead bullets.
    Chronograph your loads to be sure [;)]
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply dcs.
    My math seems to be good. The most consistent velocities and by far the best group (a 4 leaf clover with a fifth 3/4" away [:D]) at 20 yards was the 21.7 grain load. Average velocity was 1272 fps.
    With that velocity and the fact that there were no high pressure signs I think I'll try the 22.3 charge and see how that does.