In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question on a barrel change

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
I have a Savage 110c in .270win Long action, I don't shoot much. I was thinking of getting it re-barreled in 6.5-284. Good or Bad Candidate? I am also not 100% sure of the bolt face.

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not a bad candidate at all, even when loaded as hot as you can, if you don't shoot a bunch. If you shoot a bunch download it 100 fps or so and it's still a good candidate. I think it's an excellent candidate.

FWIW, though, don't sell the .270 Win short.

Suggestion, become friends with you gunsmith and get the good buddy discount. Of course he will have to eat beans but you shouldn't feel bad about that or anything....
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its one of my first hunting rifles as a kid I bought back in 1977. It's a good rifle! I have been wanting a 6.5-284 for a long time and just got to thinking Hmmmmmmm.[:D]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bolt face is fine.
    I don't know about the magazine, but the 6.5x284 is mostly a slow fire target round usually loaded single shot anyhow. If you want to go hunting, stay with .270.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do it, make sure you have the gunsmith file the rails and get it to feed right. Nothing worse than changing calibers like that and then not being able to feed it.

I say now, but never did before, what a lost caliber the .270 is. When Jack O'Connor wrote about it, there were no high BC bullets for the caliber. With the right set-up and bullets, the .270 has a ton of potential.

On the flip side going to the 6.5x.284 has a lot of advantages too. You get to push high BC bullets out at high velocities.

As a side note, you could always go with the real super round. The straight .284. With a 1-8" twist you can stabilize 200 gr. bullets.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or go with the 6.5x64 (270Win necked to 6.5mm).
    Only downside is that you may have to intrude on the powder space to keep the OAL within the limits of the magazine
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easier to go with 6.5/06 standard or Ackley Improved. Feeding will be as good as with the 270. Do you really want to spend that much and only drop .013" in bullet diameter? Like sandwarrior said, I'm not a 270 fan but it's not that bad. I'd rather have a functional 25/06 or .270 than a balky 6.5x284.