In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

9mm reloads

chaneydchaneyd Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
Having difficulties with my 9 reloads out of my Glock. They shoot fine in everything but that one pistol. My other reloads shoot ok in my other Glock calibers and pistols. Need some help here. Think it's maybe the final crimp? I get failure to go into full battery or it won't cycle and have a heck of time getting the unfired cartridge out. Using a Dillon 550 and carbide dies. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would check how much taper crimp you have on it.
    Too much you can get misfires and too little won't let the slide close all the way and would be out of battery.
    Also check length of cartridge.
    I have four glocks that I reload for and no problems.
    Are the fmj or cast.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Check the sized brass for a ring just above the groove. Some brands of brass won't size all the way down. I've run into it. They look like a belted mag round, and lock into the chamber.
    Don't worry about length, everyone I have checked has shrunk down [;)]
  • chaneydchaneyd Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by GONESHOOTING
    I would check how much taper crimp you have on it.
    Too much you can get misfires and too little won't let the slide close all the way and would be out of battery.
    Also check length of cartridge.
    I have four glocks that I reload for and no problems.
    Are the fmj or cast.

Never noticed this problem until I started shooting reloads from my Glock. I have just enough taper to take out the bell. Maybe I do need more. Too much and you'll get a case bulge.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Never noticed this problem until I started shooting reloads from my Glock. I have just enough taper to take out the bell. Maybe I do need more. Too much and you'll get a case bulge.
    [/quote]

Sounds like you need to try a littlemore taper crimp,
    Read the "STICKY" above about it [;)]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using lead bullets in a Glock, with a factory barrel, you are asking for a kaboom.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is the trick I found with my reloads for my Glock 34. A longer overall cartridge length and use the smallest amount of mouth expansion for bullet seating then almost no crimp. I'm using a Dillon RL 550B, with a mix of dillon and Lee dies. I shoot both plated and jacketed bullets, but no lead just because its a pain to deal with.

I load Berry's Plated 115gr MFG with either 4.4gr VV n320 powder with COL 1.143". I get an average of about 1094fps over my chronograph, and very nice tight groups. And with that overall length of 1.143 I have no feeding problems.

Just to go into more detail, I use a dillon sizing and decap die on my first stage. The second stage that bells the mouth and dumps the powder, I literally adjusted to the smallest amount of bell I could without having issues seating plated bullets, which really helped get rid of the nasty buldge in the finished cartridge. I use a Lee seating die on the next stage and a Lee crimp die that is pretty much adjusted at the lightest crimp shy of not crimping at all.

I've been shooting this load all year, and did alot of trial and error to get to it. I've been pretty satisfied, and have shot it in a few of my other 9mm handguns. It even feeds and shoots well out of my old CZ-85 which is picky as heck on ammo.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a note to add. Lee now makes a taper crimp that also will resize the brass on the finished cartridge. It eliminates all these problems. I've loaded probily 3ooo rounds and they are trouble free.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As was allready noted . DO NOT USE LEAD BULLETS IN GLOCK FACTORY BARREL, some people get away with it, but it will ruin the barrel if if it dosn't blow up first.
  • gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pistollero1050
    As was allready noted . DO NOT USE LEAD BULLETS IN GLOCK FACTORY BARREL, some people get away with it, but it will ruin the barrel if if it dosn't blow up first.

What is it about the lead bullets that are so damaging to Glocks? I've never heard of such a thing and find it to be quite confusing, does anyone have the how's & why's?
    GH1[:)]