In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

a good shotgun for 3 gun matches?

hammaslammahammaslamma Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
I'm in the market for a shot gun and thinking of beginning 3 gun matches on a very novice level. I'm in a bind as to what shotgun to get for production class 3 gun matches.

The very affordable price of the mossberg 930 is appealing, however I don't want to sell it off in a few months frustrated with myself for going cheap.

The FN SLP is marketed as a 3 gun competition shot gun claiming they have more 3 gun victories than any other shot gun. That's where I am kind of leaning unless I get some other reasonable advice.

Doing a little searching around I see Jerry Miculek uses a tricked out Benelli M2. Obviously it's double the price of the mossberg however.

So any advice would be much appreciated, and the last question is what length barrel and choke tubes should I be looking for on this shot gun?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use a Beretta 1201FP. it runs right with the Benelli's.
    A lot of guys use Remington 1100's or 1187's.

Look at gunshows and auction sites for a used 1201. They show at times, and are less expencive than Benelli's
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    I'd look at a Saiga and some extra mags.

If you want a pump, hard to beat a Mossberg 590/500 or Rem 870.
  • hammaslammahammaslamma Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the tip on the Remington and Beretta. I heart he berettas are the same gun as the benelli's since they are both owned by Beretta. This could be all rumor though.

Not looking for a saiga because that'd put me in the open division and I don't have the funds to compete with those guys. Also not looking for a pump as that'd slow down my times, plus increase my recoil. Thanks though for the advice.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saiga-12 looks like the way to go. You can be in the game with even a stock one, and start piecing it together into something fierce.

If your just looking for something budget friendly, its not hard or expensive to find a used 1100 or 1187, cut the barrel to about 20" and slap some fiber sights on the rib, then get a tube extension.