In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need help for low recoil loads in 30/30

rusty shackelfordrusty shackelford Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
my son is going to do the pa youth menter hunting this year he is all most 8yrs old,
i put together a contender 30/30 16" bbl with a cut down walnut buttstock the length is good for him. it has a swift 3x9x40 scope

I am planning on useing 110 grain or 125 grain bullet,
the power that i have IMR 3031, 4850[?] so i really would like to use one of those,

at most 100yds is the max he would be shooting
thanks for the help.

rusty

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip. It really performs on deer at reduced velocity. I've used it in my own Contender (in 30 Herrett) and can vouch that it expands and shoots through deer down to 1800 fps.

Load it over 29.5 grains of 3031 for right at 2100 fps (the book Start load) and you'll be good to go. Sight it two inches high at 100 and he can hold dead on to 200 if he has to.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've loaded some 30-30's with IMR 4198 at 14gr. Had good groups at 85yrds. I was just making plinking rounds with low recoil. Never shot them through a chrono to see how much energy was there.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more tip: For the rest of the year, load him some fun/varmint loads using the 100-gr Speer Plinker bullet over 10.0 Unique.

Just trust me that you will not be able to load them faster than he'll want to shoot them!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    rusty shackelfordrusty shackelford Member Posts: 152 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys i will reload some tonight for him , he will not get to shoot them till this weekend

rusty
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hodgdon reloading web site has "youth" loads.

http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Youth Loads.pdf