In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Surplus hodgden intr'l

SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
I stopped shooting trap league, and as a result, have stopped reloading shot shells. This leaves me with quite a bit of leftover 'Hodgden International Clays ' powder. Does anyone have any loads for this powder that I can burn up in my 9mm/45 acp's?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure that some people have such recipes of their own, but Hodgdon doesn't list any, and doesn't recommend International for use in metallic cartridges.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SSG ZAG,

The best I can find on it so far is that it's close to 'Clays' in speed and pressure, but slightly slower. So Start with 'Clays' data and work up. Do not work up from 'Universal Clays'.

Think about it in comparison to your shotgun loads. If you used it for heavy loads, it would be a slow burning (for shotgun) powder. If you used it for lighter faster loads, then you would do about the same with it for a pistol load.

Pistol powders are fast enough that you aren't going to get the 'double-ignition' issue like you would with slow rifle powders.